• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

September 29th - Dr Julian Onions - Aperture Fever

With a slight change of plans the next meeting of the Long Eaton Astronomical Society will feature guest speaker Dr Julian Onions on Thursday 29th September at 7pm. The change is due to the scheduled speaker Richard Parker of Reaction Engines being unable to attend, instead Richard will be our guest speaker for October.

The talk for this month is as follows:

Aperture Fever - does my mirror look big in this?

After a very brief review of how telescopes work, we look at some of the existing telescopes, both visible and other wavebands, and consider why they are so big, what they can and can't see and what the telescopes planned for the next few years will deliver.

As usual all are welcome, members free and visitors welcome for a suggested donation of £2. Under 16's must be accompanied by an adult please. Refreshments will be available from 6:30pm with the talk starting approx 7pm. Afterwards if the weather permits there will be a chance for some observing.

Dr Onions.  He's something of a sage.  Carry On lives...

I must think about growing up sometime soon.  Thought I'd have managed it by 48 with 49 next month.  Probably a bit late now.

Dr Julian gave this talk to Lincoln AS in April and he had only just changed the title to the one above from "Looking further - from here to infinity". Not sexy enough according to his colleagues. His talks are always informative and entertaining, I am sure you will enjoy.

After the meeting at Lincoln the sky was clear and the observatory was opened to view Jupiter and Julian stayed to have a look. We were a bit surprised when he said that it was the first time he had seen Jupiter through a telescope. He has embraced the amateur scene and was an attendee at the Horncastle Astronomy Weekend even though he was not one of the speakers.

Julian is also a supporter of Astrospeakers.org (one of 41 now).

I'll try to get up there for this talk.

Are there any details regarding membership on the MPOLE website ?

I can't seem to find anything :huh:

Aperture fever! :o

So it's not a group therapy help session for the afflicted then. Thought it might provide some enlightenment based on childhood traumas etc., or maybe doctor Onions had found a cure. A free prescription of 40" dobs for all sufferers. :D

Sounds like it is going to be a very interesting talk. :thumbsup:

• Like 1