Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to join the local astronomy forum covering the East Midlands!

Daz Type-R

October Monthly Meet - Saturday 29th - 19:30 hrs - Wymeswold Dark Site.

35 posts in this topic

All,

The October monthly meet is scheduled for Saturday 29th October, start time of 19:30 hrs.

Tea, coffee and a selection of nibbles will be available, please remember to bring your own mug and £1 to cover the costs of the refreshments.

We also have some EMS mugs for sale, these are priced at £3.50.

Like previous meets, there will be an opportunity for you to ask any questions, bring any kit you need us to look at, help with collimation ETC, just shout up below so we can bring the necessary kit with us (if required).

No specific agenda this month, hopefully if the sky clears then we will be able to do some observing / AP, so weather permitting, bring your kit.

No moon tonight and no real chance of any planetary observations, with Mars only being 9 degrees above the horizon but all being well there will be a wealth of other deep sky objects to look at.  Uranus will be up though (33 degrees above the horizon) and a mag +5.7 will not be easy to spot but should be doable in a decent sized scope (I managed it at Kelling this year).

If clear I will be after M73 + M74 to add to my "seen" collection.

Any questions please feel free to ask away and I hope to see a number of you there, any newbies hoping to come along, please shout up and I will post directions / address if required.

:) 

Edited by Daz Type-R
Removed featured post.

Hi, 

As a newcomer I would love to come along, I will probably have a million questions. I live in Nottingham and work in Lincoln so light pollution is a way of life for me, some dark sky would be a real treat, if it's cloudy then at least I'll get to learn some more. 

I'll be there !

Edited by DaveJW
Stupidity

Count me in too - looking forward to meeting you Jonathan. :)

Orion likes this

I am actually off that week....so barring any bad news or crappy stuff going off me and rob will be there. Cannot wait to the big scope out and meet others again.

Would like to come, but might be a it pushed timewise that weekend.

Only just joined after Kelling, so just working out how these things work. Is it just  turn up/stargaze/go home, or do you tend to camp/caravan in the area?

It's a bit of a haul for me, I live close to the Belper Site. Will definitely go to the Belper site, how do I find out of anyone is going there on a casual basis

It's only a nightly meet, you don't camp there.

Turn up about 19.30 then we normally have a cuppa, chat and sometimes a talk from an experienced member. Then if it's clear we set up and stay till you want to go.

Once you are a member you can use the sites whenever you wish, if you want company just place a thread in the meeting section telling other members you are going to one of the dark sites.

Thanks Mick,

I'll maybe start a post next week when the weather has hopefully improved, to see if anyone is interested in going to Belper. I have signed up for Dark Sky Membership, but would obviously need to go there with someone at least a couple of times to get the lie of the land.

Will still try and get to Wymeswold if I can, even if I have to leave early.

Thanks again for the clarification.

50/50 for Wymeswold as i'm working till 18:30.

But i'm itching for a session, so maybe i'll be there if it looks a good night.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend. There's always something. :(

It looks as though I'll be able to make it after all.:D

I won't be able to attend unfortunately, I'm down in London then

Hey,

Looks like I can make it after all! Hoorah, 🙄 Really looking forward to it👏👏

I will be there. Can I ask a favour please? Anyone with a non modded Canon DSLR full frame or APS, could you bring it along. Ive got an EF lens I need to test on a non modded camera as mine is modded and don't focus on auto due to filter change.

Ta very much 

Edited by philjay

Weather not looking great for tonight but it is still a good chance to pop out, meet new people and have a chat, Martyn our regular tea wallah can not make it tonight, so I have the mashing tackle but I'm currently on a weekend break, I'm not a million miles away so still intend on being there, but it won't be until 7:30 ish, hopefully another staff member will be there to open up but if not, just wait and I will be along at some point.

Hope to see you there.

Sorry folks - I'm having to duck out tonight.

Doctors orders - can't drive for a month - woddabummer!

Will be aiming for next one hopefully. :)

Hi everyone, joined recently and not met anyone yet so I'll be there tonight. i'm in south Derby so not to far.