Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you'll be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, communicate with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you've signed in.

Tweedledee

Mansfield getting darker :)

8 posts in this topic

My area of Mansfield has been much darker for the last couple of weeks. :)

Just a few hundred yards north of my garden are a group of about six car showrooms. I have previously been plagued by many bright floodlights supposedly illuminating their massive outdoor parking areas. As usual, at least 50% of the light just shines up into the sky. On a couple of occasions in the past few years I have arranged a meeting with the boss of the nearest showroom, and had successfully got them to re-adjust the angle of their lights downwards, which helped quite a bit.

Just recently, all the lights in all of the car showrooms have been off all night. Not my doing, but I'm really hoping it stays that way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even with energy saving lighting it costs money to run, I don't suppose that they get any interest from people driving by at night.

2 hours ago, BAZ said:

Even with energy saving lighting it costs money to run, I don't suppose that they get any interest from people driving by at night.

It isn't often that we post anything about improvements in light pollution. Switching off those lights is certainly a step in the right direction for me, and could hopefully develop into an economical trend to benefit others.

I'm sure they will be shining floodlights into the sky again if there is any unwanted interest in the car lot at night. I've got my fingers cross that they stay off. :2thumbsup:

They probably leave them on for security purposes, along with advertising their stock. But hopefully they will leave them off. There are a lot of them in your area Pete, along with loads of street lighting... good luck!

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

They probably leave them on for security purposes, along with advertising their stock. But hopefully they will leave them off. There are a lot of them in your area Pete, along with loads of street lighting... good luck!

and thats the rub

it does not improve security

I've heard that security lights only help the miscreants see what they're pinching or breaking in to and don't help security at all.  I thought it was a rumour started by astronomers😀

31 minutes ago, Wetfeet said:

I've heard that security lights only help the miscreants see what they're pinching or breaking in to and don't help security at all.  I thought it was a rumour started by astronomers😀

At night when the lights used to be on full bore, it was so dazzling that there would be no chance of spotting any miscreants up to no good amongst the cars. 

in almost all the studies done the crime rate went down after the lights were turned off.

Its the fear of crime and the dark that drives it.

Tweedledee likes this