• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telescope astrophotography

Guest Katash777

Guest Katash777

Hi I'm thinking of purchasing the skytravel 102mm for astrophotography I no it's not amazing telescope and that's OK with me just would like to no if it would be OK to take some images with it I have a canon 1200d thanks 

Hi Ashley, it is the mount that is more important than the scope unless you are happy to take short (less than 20 sec) exposures?

Guest Katash777
11 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Hi Ashley, it is the mount that is more important than the scope unless you are happy to take short (less than 20 sec) exposures?

Hi would a eq3 be OK for some decent images I know they wont be amazing but would I get some decent ones 

One of our members (Andy) has taken pics of the Horse Head nebula with a dslr connected to the back of an ST80 - so the 102 should be just as capable - if not more so. But as the others point out - you'll need at least an EQ mount polar aligned with an RA motor to stand a chance with long exposures.

Hth :)

Edited by Brantuk

You can take images with any telescope and a digital slr, provided you can fit the camera to the draw tube. If your not too bothered about getting coffee table book glossy astro images then the Startravel 102 will work. Due to it being a doublet achromat of short focal length you will get bloated stars with purple / blue halos on longer exposures.

No Im not dissing the scope, I started back in astro some years ago with its big brother the ST120 on which I stuck a Canon 350d. I wasn't bothered about getting fancy hubble type images I just wanted to extend the range of the scope and see a bit more faint stuff. This it did admirably. If your happy with that then the scope is fine.

Oh and the mount I used was an EQ3/2 with RA drive, no dec. It was a bit quirky but once I got used to the horrendous periodic error on the worm I manged to take quite a few images on it.

Edited by philjay