• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie saying hi

Guest jonathan_t

Guest jonathan_t

Hi there i'm Jon from Mansfield. Just starting out and hoping to meet some of you at Belper sometime soon. I'm very keen to learn about astronomy and astrophotography especially. 

Any advice on software for astro photography?

jon

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum.

I don't do any of that astrophotography malarkey (it's cheating), I`m purely a visual monkey myself. :blink:

I`m sure somebody will be along shortly to advise on software ETC, all I know is it is a very slippery slope down the dark path once you start taking pictures!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

:)

Hi Jon, a warm welcome to EMS.

I can't help you out with the imaging side of things, I am visual only, but others will pitch in and help out.

I look froward to meeting you sometime soon up Belper, but in the meantime enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Jon and welcome to EMS :)

I'm no imager but I do know some of the software used. Look up "Deep Sky Stacker" for dso photography, and "Registax" for imaging planets. They're both free to download. You'll probably want "Stellarium" and or "Cartes du Ciel" which are free planetarium programs - the interesting thing about these is that they include telescope control software for many popular mounts. Phd (push here dummy) sounds fun but is very good for guiding telescopes - again totally free to download.

That should be enough for starters - also look into getting "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards. Highly regarded as the imagers Bible and a must for anyone starting out in astro photography. £20 from first light optics. Hth :)

Welcome to EMS Jon. :)

I'm also from Mansfield. Sorry, I don't do photography either, but there will be many others here who can help with that. You will get lots of help with all aspects of the hobby on this forum. :2thumbsup:

Edited by Tweedledee

Hi Jon, welcome to EMS.

i live in Mansfield too and can recommend you looking into joining the Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield Astro society, we have a substantial observatory and clubhouse on Coxmoor road. (See below for details), but we are a friendly bunch. If you want to know more then PM me...

I am a visual monkey too, I don't dabble too much in the dark side of this hobby!  :D?

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 17 October 2016 at 17:40, Daz Type-R said:

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum.

I don't do any of that astrophotography malarkey (it's cheating), I`m purely a visual monkey myself. :blink:

I`m sure somebody will be along shortly to advise on software ETC, all I know is it is a very slippery slope down the dark path once you start taking pictures!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

:)

Don't listen to him Jonathan! Come to the dark side... One of us. One of us....It is the only way...