• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

This is how we did it in the 70s and 80s

philjay

Moon from last weeks session. I wanted to use the last frames up on some film (Ilford FP4) that  I had in my 1984 Nikon FE slr. (The film was new, the camera is 1984 btw) :D

So I slapped it on the back of the Meade 127EDT I had set up and took a few shots with bracketed exposures.

So heres the result, a single exposure. This is what we had to put up with back then and I can tell you now I would have been over the moon (pun intended) :D to have got this back in the 70s with my Tasco 10TE and Zenit B.:D

FEmoon.jpg

And for comparison, here is the same shot but taken with the Nikon Df DSLR, similar settings

An interesting exercise. I think I will stick with the DSLR for lunar

Dfmoon.jpg

OBTW both these are heavily cropped due to the small image scale of the moon on full frame, hence lack of detail

Edited by philjay
  • Like 3

A very interesting comparison Phil. 

Been switching between the two full sized images and they did mostly look like the first one with the technology of the day.

Ta folks. Its nice to relive the experience, made me almost feel young again :D

I scanned it from negatives Graham. I send the films off to a lab for process only. They will scan and provide images on a CD but the high def scans are quite expensive, besides I like to play with my Epson V600 scanner :D

I use film quite a lot so decided to go the scanner route. One day I will process the films myself, I used to do it in the 70s and use my mates darkroom with developing and enlarging gear. Spent many a happy hour dodging and burning.