• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New scope.

Nelson

Hi everyone as it was a clearish  night last night I set up my new scope, Celestron Edge HD 8" that I have had for just over a week. Last night was the first chance I've had since I got the scope. I set up on the patio about 6.30pm and let things  climatise, did a polar alignment Etc. slewed to M110 but I could not get a satisfactory focus, I looked up and noticed a slight mist, it must have been this that spoilt the views so I waited but there was no improvement so I took everything down. I went outside again about 10.30 and could see the Pleidies (I think that's spelt right) in the East but just viewed them through my Nikon 12x60 bins. So all in all a frustrating night but at least I got a look through my new scope. I'm bound to have better luck in the future and will post a report, maybe even a pic now I have the correct T Adapter.

Nice scope you have there, how long did you leave it to cool down, those Schmidt Cass tubes do take a while to cool down?

I agree with Daz, you need to let these scopes cool for at least 45 minutes. Also are you sure you are focusing correctly, by this I mean you are not focusing to fast so you go pass the sweet spot.

Just a thought, but if you don't have a dew shield or heater, the corrector plate may have just started to dew up a little, even though it might not be very visible on the glass. This would would prevent sharp focusing. SCT correctors are dew magnets.

The best protection are the Astrozap ones that combine both a physical shield with a heater.

Edited by Tweedledee

Hi there I have not had a chance until now to visit this page so I'm sorry if the reply is late. I had the dew shield on (Celestron) and I focussed both sides of in and out, if you see what I mean, but the sky was as it is today with a very wispy cloud. I set up about an hour before I tried any viewing. On the next clear, and hopefully, cloudless sky I'm going to try some AP. Wish me luck.

Where was the scope kept, an hour may not have been enough time to cool down if kept in a warm room.

Also, if your struggling to focus for visual use, when doing AP it's even more critical so good luck with that.

Hi Darren, the scope was outside for about an hour prior to any viewing. I have purchased BackyardEOS premium and hope to be able to achieve focus whilst looking on the screen. I know I have to manually achieve focus but there is an in built Batinov mask so I'm hoping to master that.