• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo triplet

catman161

Quick query-Can the Leo triplet be visually observed with a 200P from a light polluted inner city back yard? I was trying to find them last night and had no luck.

Cheers

Felix

Edited by catman161

You should catch a glimpse maybe of M65 and M66, though they will be very hard, the third one Ngc3628 even I struggled with using my 16" dob and I would say an 8" it will be almost impossible.

Cool. Thanks mick,was about pulling my hair out trying to find them last night :) will have another go from Exmoor at weekend if clouds permit. I ended up watching saturn for a bit.

I saw all 3 through Steve's dob, I believe that a 12", You can definitely see the top 2(Don't know the names) through an 8 inch because I saw them through mine, I couldn't fit the third into the FOV of my eyepiece but I reckon if you use averted vision you might get a glimpse

I can see M65 & M66 through my 200p but have never seen the third member visually.

They should easily fit in a 25mm eyepiece as that is the equivalent to a APS-C DSLR sensor.

I was having a problem seeing any of the Leo triplet last night possibly the light from mars wasn't helping

On the Sunday night at SGL7 all 3 members of the triplet were easily visible in the 300P, but I probably wouldn't have seen Ngc3628 if PhilJ hadn't shown me where it was. It's a bit further apart from M65/66 so was outside my field of view as I looked at them. If you know where it's supposed to be it will be much easier to find!

Edited by DaveJW