Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

You're only one step away from joining the local astronomy forum for the East Midlands area... Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doc

BELPER MEET: SATURDAY 5th NOVEMBER

20 posts in this topic

It's looking like a clear night on Saturday.

How about a meet up Belper. As far as I know Belper cricket club has nothing on so I'm getting up there 20.00.

This would be a great opportunity for new members to see how dark the Belper dark site skies are.

I would also like to remind our members that your first visit is free but if you would like to continue using our dark sites then

you need to join and become a dark site member. For information please look at the following link.

Dark Site Membership

Finally if you do decide to come make sure you wrap up warm, as it gets really cold up there.

I should be ok for Saturday.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of fireworks to watch as well.

I don't think I will either, I really fancy it but I have been off all week, the old prolapsed disc went last weekend. I need to be back at work next week. :(

If the W word looks good I will be there.

Me & Sis are a maybe. Scope rattlingly breezy at the moment, we'll see how it goes.

If the W holds I will be there. Taking a scope, tried imaging last night but the skies deteriorated rapidly when the bonfires started

Are you sure theres no bonfire party at the cricket club?

Edited by philjay

There is nothing on the Alderwashey cricket club website Phil, in fact there is no phone numbers to ring at all.

I'll send Rusty a message see if he knows anything.

Well I had full intentions of going, even planned to rest up for a few hours this afters to give me some reserve energy but all of a sudden like no6 busses we had visitors, neighbours, etc one after the other all unplanned. Result, my limited reserves are gone. Enjoy it guys

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

I've just rang and there's nothing happening at the club. I can't make it so enjoy yourselves.

Daz Type-R likes this

Are people still going with this wind, I will struggle but will still go if others are? 

I'm going up Darren.

If its blowing a howlie, oh well......it'll just mean an early night.

Ok, will be there about 8 also.

Decent night last night, wind was annoying, made viewing difficult at times, seeing wasn't great but better than at home.

Thanks to Rob, Mick, Dave and Sheila for turning up, had a half decent haul of objects despite the conditions.....

M27

M57

M31, M110 etc.

M45

M42

M35

M36

M37

M38

M2

M15

Split Regal, managed to see (just) Regal B.

Im sure there were others that we saw but can't remember now.

Good to catch up as ever - looking forward to the Christmas meal now. It was a bit windy but that at least that kept the dew & frost away. Add the Eskimo nebula to the list.

Glad you had a good session. After a rest I managed an hour in the garden, watching the fireworks as well as the stars.

Thanks for a good night guys.

As you say the wind slightly spoilt it but glad to get out again.

Also add a dubious M78 to that list

It was a fun evening indeed. Nice to spend a few hours under the stars.

I hope i didn't prematurely finish off the evening too early. All my fault : i hadn't fully charged my shoe insoles,

and they only lasted 2 - 3 hours. My feet were suffering as it neared midnight and i knew it was time to call it a night.

I need to sort out some proper winter footwear : a pair of trail shoes isn't really enough even though they feel great with the insoles in.

And it wasn't even freezing last night. (+1*C when i left the site)

The OO Dob performed well on all objects i thought last night. Its a great 'all round' scope.

I tried out a different cooling method that seemed to do ok.

Star images looked good, despite the so-so seeing.

And i'm really enjoying using my 31mm Nagler with it. They work very well together. I never use the N31 much with my refractor.

I even left the bino in the car ! I'm looking forward to Jupiters return though, and this is what it really excels at.

I saw all of the objects Darren listed apart from M2 & M15.

With Micks help to locate, i observed M81 & M82 and also M78 for the first time.

I can also add M1, NGC 2392 (Eskimo) to the list.

Rigel, Castor, Polaris and Epsilon Lyrae doubles were observed.

The Trapezium was a nice quartet, and i looked at M42 for quite a while, and despite it being too low, i kidded myself i could see the Trap E star in moments of steadier seeing.

Looking forward to the next session !!   :):telescope:

I am glad you had a good night despite the conditions, I did wonder as it was really smokey and poor down here.