• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IC 434 Horsehead & Flame

Ibbo

• 4 weeks later...

My first attempt at trying to image the horse head nebula. Alnitak, flame nebula and horsehead nebula. Stack of 21 x 60s, iso 800, 70-300 mm zoom lens at 300mm.  Tracked Canon 1100d on my new Sky Watcher Star Adventurer - first test run.  I'm not into image processing properly yet, only started, so these are not great, but a start in the learning process. The pleasing thing was, I've been wanting to see this nebula for years, and seeing it appear on the image was enough. I could see the flame nebula dark streaks appear next to Alnitak on single frames coming in on APT.  I think the last image (the green one based on a stack of 5) might be so enlarged on this screen, the noise dots make it difficult to see the horsehead outline (it was saved as a 4 Mb crop), but the two red images were heavily reduced in file size (<1Mb), so might display smaller (I'm not sure). The red ones were of a bigger stack of 21 x 60s though. Nothing in comparison to IBBO's though, which is excellent.  

Horsehead nebula

Horsehead nebula

Horse head and flame nebulae

22 hours ago, Orion said:

My first attempt at trying to image the horse head nebula. Alnitak, flame nebula and horsehead nebula. Stack of 21 x 60s, iso 800, 70-300 mm zoom lens at 300mm.  Tracked Canon 1100d on my new Sky Watcher Star Adventurer - first test run.  I'm not into image processing properly yet, only started, so these are not great, but a start in the learning process. The pleasing thing was, I've been wanting to see this nebula for years, and seeing it appear on the image was enough. I could see the flame nebula dark streaks appear next to Alnitak on single frames coming in on APT.  I think the last image (the green one based on a stack of 5) might be so enlarged on this screen, the noise dots make it difficult to see the horsehead outline (it was saved as a 4 Mb crop), but the two red images were heavily reduced in file size (<1Mb), so might display smaller (I'm not sure). The red ones were of a bigger stack of 21 x 60s though. Nothing in comparison to IBBO's though, which is excellent.  

Horsehead nebula

Horsehead nebula

Horse head and flame nebulae

did you use any calibration files darks or flats with this.

I often don't use them with the ccd but always have to with the DSLR

Steve, I only used darks.  I've not got to the stage yet of what a calibration file or flat is, or how to do them. Nor the thing where you take a photo of a bright screen either.