• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Willman-Bell books

Tweedledee

The new book "Annals of the Deep Sky-Vol 4" has just been released by Willman-Bell in the USA...

http://willbell.com/HANDBOOK/Annals.html

I think these books are absolutely brilliant even though they can be a bit expensive.

I got the previous volumes from SCS Astro, but they have now closed down after Kieron McGrath retired earlier this year. Does anyone know another importer of Willman-Bell books? Buying direct with the usd/gbp rates and paying individual international shipping puts the cost right up.

Edited by Tweedledee

4 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I believe FLO do them now

Brilliant thanks Steve. :thumbsup:

Just had a look and they don't have the latest volume listed yet, but it has only just been released in the US. Will email them to see if they will get it in.

They look very informative. Let us know how you get on Pete.

Do you need a big aperture scope to get the most from these books?

I have always bought them straight from the states, not much in it price wise in the past but they take a week or so to get here due to customs on this side of the pond

21 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

They look very informative. Let us know how you get on Pete.

Do you need a big aperture scope to get the most from these books?

FLO got straight back to me to say they will have the new volume in stock within the next few weeks. Should be less than half the price it would cost me to ship in from the USA. :)

They are £25 each at FLO, but I put the new volume into Willman-Bells shopping cart and had it calculate international shipping and then converted it to GBP and added UK VAT. The bill came to a total of £54.76 which included Willman-Bells introductory discount! :o

Steve, this series of books are very comprehensive and enjoyable. They are much more than just observing guides. Each constellation is dealt with comprehensively, from its place in mythology to the actual position of its DSO's in relation to our galaxies spiral arms! Most of the DSO's including binaries, variables and exoplanets are visible in a 10" scope (sadly not the exoplanets :D) and are covered in some detail with astrophysical information and interesting facts and peculiarities many of which I have not seen elsewhere. Some objects included are a challenge or not visible at all, but are discussed in magazine article style. For instance, in Auriga is Berkeley 17, probably the oldest known (unknown to most) open cluster. I found this article fascinating, even though I'm never likely to see any of its very faint stars even through a 20" Dob at a Texas star party! It doesn't even stand out from the background in long exposures.

In my opinion they are lovely books to have, and I think you'd really enjoy them Steve. Will bring back that book you loaned me and let you borrow a volume.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

I use my Night Sky Observers guide quite a lot, also got thenm from SCS Astro a good few years ago.

I also have the NSOG, and find they cover even more objects than Annals, but usually in slightly less detail. I think the NSOG's are better observing guides with brilliant sketches and B&W photos, but are less enjoyable to sit down and read than Annals.