• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC1333

StuartJPP

Thanks for commenting everyone...

8 hours ago, stash said:

Loved the Kingfisher and Fly pics too!

No more Owls ??????

Owls are tricky to find...otherwise I would have more...

23 hours ago, Graham said:

Awesome pic .

You must be very pleased with that.

Thanks Graham, yes I am pleased...I was having withdrawal symptoms not collecting any photons.

8 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Looking forward to your next one.

Thanks Rob, so am I ...sometime around 2023 :lol:

Quick question Stuart.

Did you get your 6D modified, or was it purchased 'already modded' ??

I see yours is done by Baader (in Germany ?)

Reason i ask is, i'm thinking about possibly modding my own 6D in the future,

and it seems the only cameras that can be modded in the UK are APS format. I've read FF cameras are tricky to do.

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Quick question Stuart.

Did you get your 6D modified, or was it purchased 'already modded' ??

I see yours is done by Baader (in Germany ?)

Reason i ask is, i'm thinking about possibly modding my own 6D in the future,

and it seems the only cameras that can be modded in the UK are APS format. I've read FF cameras are tricky to do.

Hi...I modified it myself. I bought the Baader replacement filter from Modern Astronomy.

I had previously modified a Canon 1100D as well as a Canon 650D. The 6D was probably the hardest, mainly because the filter is stuck to the sensor with a double-sided sticky gasket, the 650D is a lot easier to remove as it is stuck to the frame, not the sensor. It took about 25 minutes to remove the existing filter as it was that tricky...

I followed Gary Honis' guides but even having done the other two I still clenched the whole way through. The price for getting it wrong is much larger for the 6D... as it cost 3x as much as the 650D (both 2nd hand).

The Baader filter was chosen because I use a lens/refractor and wanted a decent UV/IR filter rather than relying on the front filter.

Cheap Astrophotography have one for £1500...you could ask Juan how much it would cost to modify yours if you don't fancy doing it yourself?

Edited by StuartJPP
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Stuart, i'll keep a note of that info.

I certainly don't feel up to doing it myself, as i'd almost certainly make a hash of it :negative: