• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Should the new Branson/USA "Concorde" be banned i n Europe

stash

This is not political so please don't ban it !

As one who was totally gob smacked when I first saw Concorde fly back in the sixties and remember's the actions of some US citizens to have it banned due to the noise and the sonic boom I asked the question should this new "Concorde" be banned in Europe on the same grounds as the Americans used in the sixties/seventies - which basically made Concorde a commercial "lame duck" - albeit  a truly beautiful and fantastic piece of engineered design by the French/English "lame duck".

15 minutes ago, Sheila said:

nope :)  flew the old one and would fly the new one..... awesome :D:D:D 

Bloody hell Sheila is there no end to your talents :rofl:

Not for me i'm afraid, as much as i loved and admired the UK / France Concorde.

And as for sub-orbital aircraft ; well Mr Branson's plans for that ended up in bits all over the Nevada desert.

The big bird was indeed a sight to behold. Many of the people I worked with also worked at "Vickers" on the Concorde. I myself made one small insignificant contribution to Concorde on one of her refits in the mid 1980s.
History repeats itself. Look what was done to the TSR2 in favour of the Lockheed alternative? (and with Mountbatten's collusion too.)
I can see why there are so many disparate factions across the globe that have a downer on the USA, but there's nothing abnormal in a society wanting to protect its interests.
Speaking as a Brit- I really like the USA (and those Americans I have engaged wirh generally) so please don't think I'm making political points.

e&oe...

2 hours ago, banjo said:

The big bird was indeed a sight to behold. Many of the people I worked with also worked at "Vickers" on the Concorde. I myself made one small insignificant contribution to Concorde on one of her refits in the mid 1980s.
History repeats itself. Look what was done to the TSR2 in favour of the Lockheed alternative? (and with Mountbatten's collusion too.)
I can see why there are so many disparate factions across the globe that have a downer on the USA, but there's nothing abnormal in a society wanting to protect its interests.
Speaking as a Brit- I really like the USA (and those Americans I have engaged wirh generally) so please don't think I'm making political points.

e&oe...

"but there's nothing abnormal in a society wanting to protect its interests" not if you except "Free Trade" which makes protectionism illegal and countries are fined by the WTO. Ah the TRS2 another one from the stable of Barnes Wallace - even if he didn't design it directly he produced a "swing wing" design in the late 40's/early 50's which I think helped the US produce the F1-11. Unfortunately that was the hay day of UK design in planes - now we are just a shopping site for other peoples goods. Got to love Dyson's idea of creating a college for UK engineers - beats learning your stuff in sheds. Not sure if Branson is even going to use Rolls Royce engines in the "Boom".

21 hours ago, Graham said:

Bloody hell Sheila is there no end to your talents :rofl:

Well did not quite get enough hours for commercial pilot. Am only allowed to fly a little Cessna 152. But trust you to make that comment :P 

18 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I think we should start an international project to develop sub-orbital aircraft for long-haul flights.

I think there is already. Listened to a guy at mpole developing engines for it :)