Welcome to East Midlands Stargazers

Register now to join the local astronomy forum covering the East Midlands!

Daz Type-R

November monthly meet - CANCELLED.

9 posts in this topic

All,

Due to a bizarre turn of events, none of us staff members are around this weekend to open up the club house.

:blink:

The meet was going to be at our Belper dark site but each of the staff members have either got work, family commitments or are away.

I apologise for the late notice but I was hoping we could have got something arranged, but sadly not.

For any dark site members, if it is clear, please feel free to use the dark site, just be aware that there are no staff on hand to open up.

Also, with the recent deluge of rain we have had, I have no idea what the ground will be like up there, so if you do go, please be careful and please report back.

There will be no monthly meet in December but adhoc meets can still be arranged as and when.

The next monthly meet will be towards the back end of January, weather and staff permitting of course.

Once again, sorry for the late notice.

Daz.

FYI Daz - Wymeswold was flooded last night to the extent some folks were having trouble driving/walking through and getting to their houses. It seems to have subsided today but will still be very wet and awkward to traverse. I'm not sure if the CC was flooded (the floods were more at street level) but the field will be very soggy. So for anyone organising meetings the area is probably best avoided for a while till it dries out. :)

Cheers Kim, I was hoping that with it being a bit higher up than the village that it would be OK, the ground will be another matter though.

Again, if any dark site members go up to Wymeswold, please be careful and please report back to any member of staff.

Cheers.

I went through Burton on the Wolds this morning and the Wymeswold road was still closed. It ain't looking good, I hope the village survived ok.

The Belper site is much higher, so hopefully not as badly affected. I'll try and get over there in the next day or two to see what it's like, and I'll report back. Been so damned cloudy though, I don't think we'll be missing much on Saturday.. Let's hope things improve and maybe see if we can sneak in a another mid-weeker..

Even though belper is higher, the ground still holds the water. Me and Daz have set up on the driveway before now due to the field being too wet.

Hi thanks Andy. Pleased to say it's looking good, popped up this morning, a couple of small puddles, but nothing a good pair of boots couldn't cope with. First time I've actually had a close look, looks like a great place..

IMG_0434.JPG

tuckstar, BAZ and Daz Type-R like this

It's about the best place around derby area. The skies are quite dark and you can see plenty......when it's clear!

When it's good, it sometimes turns into a all-nighter. The eastern horizon is very good and we have seen Jupiter and Saturn rising through the hedges. A good few of us have seen bright fireball meteors as well as not being a bad place for Aurora also.

But when it's bad there is a real risk of getting the car stuck, it's a clay based soil and it covers everything, it's horrible. 

Thanks for looking Dave. :)