• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help on a Fotomate HR28 ball head mount conflict with a Canon 1100d

Orion

I recently bought a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer. For that, I also got a new tripod (First Horizons 8115) and a Fotomate HR28 ball mount.

The connector to the camera (Canon 1100d) obstructs the camera battery door.  There’s not a lot in it and wonder if you have suggestions.  I thought of filing down the camera door. It sounds a bit painful to my nice camera, although someone else suggested remove the door completely. I’d prefer to leave the door in for the reasons of potential dew that might seep in if running down the camera external body.  An alternative could be to file down part of the ball head connector plate to make a flat edge on part of the circumference. It would lose the serrations helpful for tightening that plate to the camera though (but not by much, maybe 20 % of the circumference), and would have to be exactly matched with the tightness needed to coincide with the flat edge providing room for the door to open.  I could file down opposite sides, thus make two flat edges that would allow tightening by adjustable spanner (but there is danger to overtightening when one can’t feel by finger and thumb tightness).

On one side of the connector plate, there is a cross head bolt. Can that be loosened or is it glued in place? The reason I ask is, if I unscrewed it, there may be some sideways movement which might be just enough, then re-tighten the central cross head bolt.  But there may not be any movement or displacing it from the centre might cause its purpose not to function as efficiently.

Obviously, a smaller connector plate would work, providing it wasn’t too small that it would fit in the ball head part.

I do have a mains adapter that plugs into the base of the Canon, which then does away with the need for batteries. But it is mains, and there are times when I just want low voltage in the field.  So the problem still exists if I want to use batteries, which are easy enough to replace - IF the door can be opened.

Ideas welcome

thanks

Derek

15181252_1180944075329208_6311613234786392326_n.jpg

15192630_1180944301995852_8440618761948067838_n.jpg

Hi Derek, I have a Star Adventurer mount but I got the matching ball mount as well which negates your problem. If the serated ring is metal then maybe someone on here with a lathe could reduce the diameter and re-serate the edge, just a thought??

Hope you get it sorted, it's frustrating i know!!

Cheers

Ron

On 02/12/2016 at 07:54, Ron Clarke said:

Hi Derek, I have a Star Adventurer mount but I got the matching ball mount as well which negates your problem. If the serated ring is metal then maybe someone on here with a lathe could reduce the diameter and re-serate the edge, just a thought??

Hope you get it sorted, it's frustrating i know!!

Cheers

Ron

Good idea to have it re serrated. im itching to file a bit off though.