• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Noob from Birmingham

paddlesat16

Hi to everyone

Noob astronomer from Birmingham, I bought a Celestron PS1000 to get me started. Hoping to learn something...lol

Regards

5 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Hi Bob.  What was it that got you into this gig?

I had a telescope as a kid, nothing sensational just a cheap refractor type, it enabled me to see the moon and not a lot else. So here I am 30+ years or so later with a desire to continue seeing more of the night skies and maybe doing a little photography as well.

Regards Bob

Its one of those things that stays with you isn't it.  Any idea what you'd like to have a look at?  Its nice to get back into it.  I had a gap of a few years but it never leaves you.

Hi Bob, a warm welcome to EMS.

Here's to a bit of clear sky for you. If you have any questions, just shout up. :)

22 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Its one of those things that stays with you isn't it.  Any idea what you'd like to have a look at?  Its nice to get back into it.  I had a gap of a few years but it never leaves you.

I'm loving the moon at the moment, it literally rises outside my back door, and there is so much to see on it.   but at the moment I'm just finding my bearings so to speak and havn't a clue what to look at.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bob. Welcome to EMS. I looked up the Celestron PS1000 and it looks like a decent little scope. The one I looked at did have the usual piece of cr*p finder scope though. It is really difficult to find anything with one of these or to keep them in alignment with the scope. I might cause a storm on here but I'd recommend a red dot finder for a start. Something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Dot-Finder-Scope-for-telescope-with-dovetail-base-/161921042624?hash=item25b33f08c0:g:bp8AAOSw5IJWcrEt

And put it on a dovetail base so you can remove and refit if without loosing alignment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-accessory-bracket-for-finderscope-red-dot-finder-etc-/161944910221?hash=item25b4ab398d:g:sm4AAOSwL7VWlTzl

I'm good at spending other people's money but I think also it's good to get your hands on a current astro magazine to give you a sky map and some ideas of what you might see via their sky tours. I'd go for the BBC Sky at Night or Astronomy Now.

Happy hunting. 

• Like 2