• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Did the BBC get the wrong side of the Moon ?

Werisit

Catching up on the excellent Planet Earth II episodes and they showed a shot of the moon. It looked weird to me so I took a screen shot to try and match it up to my moon map. No joy, so I looked at some images of the back side of the Moon. Here's what I found. What do you folks think?

By the way, this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the program and has just provided me with an hour or so's entertainment so it's all good!

Moon planet earth.211.jpg

Moon back side.2.jpg

I reckon you've nailed it there. :thumbsup:

It is quite surprising how different two moon images of the same area taken at different phases can be. 

Most TV channels get things wrong! One sure-fire giveaway that episodes are filmed weeks in advance is that the lunar phase on soaps is very different to the real current phase.

Also, the weather is often very wrong. Notice also that they NEVER discuss general elections or other world events on soaps.