• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

camera on telescope

Guest KAYCE

Hi,I would appreciate knowing what is the morning star/Planet which is in the sky around 7am each morning,

although quite faint is the only object around,looking south west /Many Thanks.Kayce

Welcome to EMS Ken.

The Planet you're looking at is Jupiter. 

It actually rises at around 01:30 hrs but as its fairly low down in the south (in all the atmospheric murk)

it doesn't become very prominent for an hour or two after that.

Its in the constellation of Virgo at present. A few days ago the waning crescent moon made a nice triangular grouping with Jupiter and Virgo's bright star - Spica.

The planets all follow the Zodiacal constellations, and as Jupiter takes around 12 years to complete a solar orbit, it is seen in the 'next' constellation in the Zodiac each year.

So this year Virgo, next year Libra, then Scorpio / Ophiuchus then Sagittarius, etc etc

In April the Earth will 'have caught Jupiter up' and for a time will be in between Jupiter and the sun. This is called Opposition.

Jupiter will then be visible all night from sunset to sunrise.

Do you have any binoculars ??

Have a look at Jupiter and see if you can spot its 4 moons. 

Let us know what you can see.

Edited by Bino-viewer
typos
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your comments Rob,so far then I have taken photo's of Venus,Mars and now Jupiter,just been looking again at Venus and Jupiter,

was hoping to see Neptune in the same area,took a photo slightly to the left of Mars and have a object quite planet looking,wonder if that is Neptune

hope so,doesn't look like a star.

photo's taken using my Nikon D5300 on Tripod

1 hour ago, KAYCE said:

Many thanks for your comments Rob,so far then I have taken photo's of Venus,Mars and now Jupiter,just been looking again at Venus and Jupiter,

was hoping to see Neptune in the same area,took a photo slightly to the left of Mars and have a object quite planet looking,wonder if that is Neptune

hope so,doesn't look like a star.

photo's taken using my Nikon D5300 on Tripod

Hi Ken it could well be Neptune - it is rapidly converging with Mars... on the 1st Jan 2017 at around 6.00am, Neptune will be about 1' 26" from Mars but it will be below our horizon sadly!

From 1st Jan 2017 It will be on 'tother' side of Mars...

Welcome to EMS Ken.

It would be great to see your photos if you post them here. Please let us know what equipment you use.

Guest Howard Moon

Hi Kim it's Jamie, I don't know if you remember or not but you fixed my telescope a couple of years ago and then came over for an observing session?? Just thought I'd look you up to say hello!

Hi Ken, a warm welcome to EMS.

The Planets are pretty much the stars (sorry :)) of the night sky and never fail to provide the wow factor. Jupiter and Saturn top the list, but even the far flung Uranus and Neptune show distinct colour through a modest scope.

There is always something to see and I for one can't wait for Saturn to poke it's head up again. Seeing that through the old 50mm Tasco is what got me into this hobby.