• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

When even a powered hub wont do - these work

stash

My ZWO As120mm (older usb 2 version) has always been a pain even with a 5v powered hub but this little beauty seems to do the trick - just watch for the delv costs - £5 ouch.

https://www.msdist.co.uk/product_MikroTik-5V-USB-Power-Injector.php

and one of these (not this shop just example) to provide the 12v to 5v 3a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-DC-DC-Converter-Regulator-12V-to-5V-3A-15W-Car-Led-Display-Power-ZH/232105100416?

No that's down to the USB link but it certainly lowers my outages especially as i share the powered hub with my filter wheel(data only f/wheel is powered (12v) separately too!) - however if I removed the hub it should in theory be faster(did say in theory) -  i may try that as an experiment - if I do I will let you know the results. 

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2017 at 18:03, Ibbo said:

does it improve the frma e rate as well?

Answer I have found out in testing is NO - ZWO camera,well asi120mm ,is a law unto itself. It seems to be like my wife - blows hot and cold and works one day then it gives up - presumably for a rest :(

Look to find a reliable alternative that doesn't break the bank!

But it wont be a ZWO camera.

15 hours ago, Ibbo said:

sounds about the same as my 120 then

Example left the ZWO plugged in and switched on ALL NIGHT - still working 18hrs later. Disconnected s/w changed a cable and bang "usb device failed - " being repeated every 10 secs. Unplug zwo camera at camera end count to 10 (deciding if to use the ult eng tool - 7lb hammer!) plugged it back in and off it seemed to work again. At the same  time my Samsung scb2000 which I use for security but is connected to the same PC - unplugged moved cable a number of times and plugged back in - back up and working at 30 FPS.

Its so dam annoying - trouble is dont know what to replace the ZWO with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!