• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

lynx eqdirect cable first impression

Bottletopburly

Well the lynx cable came yesterday from FLO   and comparing with my previous eqdirect cable, build wise much better, more professional, thicker round cable,  metal  D-sub with long thumb screws  £34 ok not cheap but about the norm for an EQdirect cable , but im not messing with a soldering iron anymore ,quick check eqmod found straight off ,uses the fdti chip set so didn`t matter what usb port i used, still said com11.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html  

I have one also-great piece of kit. Much better than my previous cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2017-1-8 at 09:21, Bottletopburly said:

Well the lynx cable came yesterday from FLO   and comparing with my previous eqdirect cable, build wise much better, more professional, thicker round cable,  metal  D-sub with long thumb screws  £34 ok not cheap but about the norm for an EQdirect cable , but im not messing with a soldering iron anymore ,quick check eqmod found straight off ,uses the fdti chip set so didn`t matter what usb port i used, still said com11.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html  

Do you connect this straight to the mount or to the handset?

1 hour ago, dtastro said:

Do you connect this straight to the mount or to the handset?

Connect d-sub to mount -USB to computer , then configure eqmod , assuming you have installed rellevant Eqascom files .then control mount with planaterium software such as skytech X or cart du ciel  then just a matter of  doing a few star alignments  then good to go ?

40 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Connect d-sub to mount -USB to computer , then configure eqmod , assuming you have installed rellevant Eqascom files .then control mount with planaterium software such as skytech X or cart du ciel  then just a matter of  doing a few star alignments  then good to go ?

I'm using a Macbook and hopefully Stellarium. I've installed the driver and it recognises the cable ok. I can choose the SerialUSB in the Stellarium configuration. Not sure if that will slew the mount or not till I get it in a couple of weeks.

P.S. by d-sub do you mean the rj45 connector?

46 minutes ago, dtastro said:

I'm using a Macbook and hopefully Stellarium. I've installed the driver and it recognises the cable ok. I can choose the SerialUSB in the Stellarium configuration. Not sure if that will slew the mount or not till I get it in a couple of weeks.

It depends on the mount - EQ6 is DSUB(DB 9 pin),AZEQ6GT/HEQ5 is RJ45 

1 hour ago, dtastro said:

As above check cable for mount mines eq6 if yours is the rj45 then buy accordingly , not sure on Mac others may be able to tell you , I'm assuming you still need Eqmod there may be a thread on SGL not being a Mac user I couldn't be 100%

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

As above check cable for mount mines eq6 if yours is the rj45 then buy accordingly , not sure on Mac others may be able to tell you , I'm assuming you still need Eqmod there may be a thread on SGL not being a Mac user I couldn't be 100%

I've returned the cable today. I'll go down the serial cable rout to the handset at some later stage. thanks for the input though.