• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Vesta 25 Jan 2017

Nice one Derek. I caught Vesta a few years ago. Its very satisfying catching asteroids even though they are just faint points of light in the scope, I suppose its the thrill of the chase.

29 minutes ago, Orion said:

I couldn't resist adding this to the bag of space rocks.  10s exposure at iso 6400, 300mm, Canon 1100d.  Mounted on driven Star Adventurer at the time. From Loughborough.  I will attempt to image again and create a blink comparison to show relative movement.

Vesta

You're getting very good at chasing down this local stuff Derek. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, philjay said:

Nice one Derek. I caught Vesta a few years ago. Its very satisfying catching asteroids even though they are just faint points of light in the scope, I suppose its the thrill of the chase.

I found Vesta a couple of years ago in Taurus along with another well known asteroid in the same area (forget which one). I agree Phil, it is very satisfying to make a positive id on these even though they are just faint dots surrounded by other faint dots. :)

Nice one Derek, you must be chuffed about this... I would be.

I have never knowingly seen one!

Another task for my todo list - cheers for the inspiration!

Vesta! I can't match that. Great shot.

22 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

I've seen some but never snapped any.

On 29/01/2017 at 19:51, Sunny Phil said:

Vesta! I can't match that. Great shot.

I've seen some but never snapped any.

Thank you Phil.  Vesta, i can't match that. There's a joke in there, swan vesta - can they still be bought?

On 29/01/2017 at 22:24, Daz Type-R said:

Nicely done Derek, well done.

:thumbsup:

Thank you Darren, much appreciated.  I think i paid for it the next 2days with a corker of a migraine. 

10 hours ago, Sheila said:

:thumbsup: 

Thanks Sheila.

On 29/01/2017 at 08:53, Stephen said:

Nice one Derek never seen one my self

Thank you Stephen.  

On 28/01/2017 at 21:23, Smithysteve said:

Thank you Stephen. Yes, go for it.  There's a load yet undiscovered as well.

On 28/01/2017 at 20:56, Tweedledee said:

You're getting very good at chasing down this local stuff Derek. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

I found Vesta a couple of years ago in Taurus along with another well known asteroid in the same area (forget which one). I agree Phil, it is very satisfying to make a positive id on these even though they are just faint dots surrounded by other faint dots. :)

Thank you Pete.  Yes, very satisfying. 

On 28/01/2017 at 20:41, philjay said:

Thank you Philjay.  It's something different to hunt for. It's good when it matches up with the expected position on star charts.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 23:36, Orion said:

Thank you Phil.  Vesta, i can't match that. There's a joke in there, swan vesta - can they still be bought?

Thank you Darren, much appreciated.  I think i paid for it the next 2days with a corker of a migraine. 

Thanks Sheila.

Thank you Stephen.  

Having neither smoked nor committed arson for decades, I don't know if they are still available.

Yes, the joke was deliberate!

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 08:53, Stephen said:

Nice one Derek never seen one my self

Vesta is easiest to spot as it sometimes reaches the edge of naked eye visibility. Ceres isn't too difficult in binoculars.