• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

why oh why did i bother

Bottletopburly

Rainy day lads birthday nowt doing he was having a day playing Elite Dangerous on the pc with a break for dominos pizza ,oh i think i will clean and collimate the scope 2"hrs later all fine and dandy though i was think why did i do this ,took ages on the secondary :facepalm: 

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Rainy day lads birthday nowt doing he was having a day playing Elite Dangerous on the pc with a break for dominos pizza ,oh i think i will clean and collimate the scope 2"hrs later all fine and dandy though i was think why did i do this ,took ages on the secondary :facepalm: 

Personally, I'd prefer to clean and collimate than spend all day playing computer games. Sounds like a job well done. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Secondary is the hardest to sort, but time and patience normally provales.

Nicely done though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Secondary is the hardest to sort, but time and patience normally provales.

Nicely done though.

Yes the secondary can be such a pain , even with bobs knobs fitted , seems ok now though it's jest getting that sweet spot where it's roundest , cleaned the primary too that had a film on it that would only clean off with vinegar on a very soft cloth then washed off with copious amounts of distilled water looks ok now now nice and shiney 

Vinegar??????

Im not sure, but that may be too harsh and could damage the coating on the primary?

I used un-fragranced washing up liquid, none of the smelly stuff, let the mirror soak for ages then wiped clean with surgical cotton wool, then rinsed as you have done.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Yes drastic action used clear vinegar , the problem was I had a greasy film which I could not budge  even after steeping in water and soap flakes , I think it may have been caused by diesel fumes off the mixer  from when I did the patio , used a soft microfibre cloth with a bit of vinegar on and  just lightly touched the surface seem to do the trick , washed off under the shower then used distilled water for final rinse