• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

hello froma new member in kirkby in ashfield

Guest spud

Hi To all at E M S G. I have been interested in astronomy and space in an armchair capacity for as long as I can remember but it wasn't until 11 years ago that my wife bought me my first scope for my 50th birthday,  it was a celestron four and a half inch newtonian and both my wife and I were dissapointed with what was visable through it (my wife was expecting hubble images) so I'm ashamed to say I probably used it a dozen times in the 9 years I owned it. then a couple of years ago my enthusiasm was re-kindled when I was watching star gazing live so I bought myself a 5" go to maksutov and was blown away with what It could find and resolv, however I soon got the astrophotography bug and got some great images of the moon and sun spots and more recently the transit of mercury but I wanted more, so now I am the proud owner of a used 8" meade lx 90 GPS for which I have made a wedge for better acuracy and I also have a canon 450d. I am very much a beginner in this field but I have just ordered a book called "making every photon count" which I'm hoping will throw more light on the subject (if you'l excuse the pun).  so thats me and I'm looking forward to getting involved in some forums and desperately hoping for some clear skies.

Dave. :rolleyes:

Hi Dave welcome aboard. I'm afraid I'm just a visual monkey but there's plenty of members on here who are well versed in the dark arts (astrophotography) and are more than happy to help out. So any questions, just shout. In the mean time enjoy the forum. 

Hi Dave

I first started with a Canon dslr, but beware the bug catches you and I now used a CCD camera and have no money :lol:  

Welcome to the forum, the book is the best one to start off with

Welcome to EMS Dave. :thumbsup:

Good to have another member in our northern region, though we do have a Scottish outpost. :)

Welcome to EMS Dave ??
Joining this forum will raise your game enormously. We all benefit and learn from each other on this forum. 

I see you live at Kirkby in Ashfield, that is less than five minutes drive from the Mansfield and Sutton in Ashfield observatory on Coxmoor road. Have you heard of it? 
We have open days and evenings, also solar viewing days, where our volunteer based members give talks and tours of our observatory, which includes a 45-seat lecture theatre, a 600mm aperture Newtonian telescope housed in a 6.4 meter diameter dome, and a dedicated outside observation area.
We also have a radio astro section and are planning a 15 meter planetarium...

Anyway, We are a friendly bunch from all manner of backgrounds. Why not pop along and see what we are about... you would be made very welcome!
We are having an public open night on Saturday 4th Feb, starting around 7.00pm, there is a tour of our facilities and lectures rolling through the evening... or come along on any Wednesday night at 8.00pm (members night).
Pm me if you want more details- the website is:
http://sherwood-observatory.org.uk

Cheers ??

welcome to the forum, the book is a very good read, but you`ll soon be spending some money after reading it L.O.L.

Hello and welcome to the forum, your just up the road from me in Hucknall.  Again, I just do visual but there are some clever people on here who do wonders with a camera, so fire any questions our way in the relevant section and somebody will be along shortly.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

:) 

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Welcome to EMS Dave ??
Joining this forum will raise your game enormously. We all benefit and learn from each other on this forum. 

I see you live at Kirkby in Ashfield, that is less than five minutes drive from the Mansfield and Sutton in Ashfield observatory on Coxmoor road. Have you heard of it? 
We have open days and evenings, also solar viewing days, where our volunteer based members give talks and tours of our observatory, which includes a 45-seat lecture theatre, a 600mm aperture Newtonian telescope housed in a 6.4 meter diameter dome, and a dedicated outside observation area.
We also have a radio astro section and are planning a 15 meter planetarium...

Anyway, We are a friendly bunch from all manner of backgrounds. Why not pop along and see what we are about... you would be made very welcome!
We are having an public open night on Saturday 4th Feb, starting around 7.00pm, there is a tour of our facilities and lectures rolling through the evening... or come along on any Wednesday night at 8.00pm (members night).
Pm me if you want more details- the website is:
http://sherwood-observatory.org.uk

Cheers ??

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

Believe it or not I was a member of your society for the 2015-16 season, unfortunately it didn't work out for me for reasons I explained to phil at the time of my departure, however I may still pop over on one of your open evenings clear skies and holidays allowing. when I get round to putting a photo on my profile you will no doubt recognise me.

Dave.

3 hours ago, spud said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

Believe it or not I was a member of your society for the 2015-16 season, unfortunately it didn't work out for me for reasons I explained to phil at the time of my departure, however I may still pop over on one of your open evenings clear skies and holidays allowing. when I get round to putting a photo on my profile you will no doubt recognise me.

Dave.

Ok Dave, no probs... I will watch out for you. Hope to see you at some point. ?