• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M42/M43 Orion Nebula First Crack

Guest AamenHammer

Guest AamenHammer

Not the greatest but i'm happy for my first go at this nebula.

Kit

Nikon D750

Lens Sigma 150-600 @500mm f6.3

Skywatcher Star Adventurer Mount with L bracket

Koolehaoda ball head rated to 15kg.

Flik Master Tripod (old but bloody sturdy)

Intervelometer

Taken 9th January. Light pollution is a huge factor for me.  I live about a mile outside the city centre.  Next time to a darker spot, but just wanted to get used to setting up the Mount.  Will probably invest in a clip in filter at some point.

20 subs of 60 seconds each, all at iso260

same darks and flats

Processed in DSS and finished in PS.

As soon as another clear night comes along, the 2 things i'm going to do differently are, darker site and a higher ISO.  that's why i bought the D750, for it's high iso capabilities, so i better start using them.

Any advice gratefully received.

OrionNebula1000px.jpg

Nice picture matey. Orion neb and the running man neb. 

I'm afraid we don't live in the best place for dark skies. But you seem to of done ok with this one.

We have two darksites that are available for members to use. One in Wymeswold near loughborough and one out near Belper, a first visit is free to see of it suits your needs then £20 a year and you can use it when you like. Except for when there are cricket matches on. Wymeswold isn't bad, but belper is considerably darker.

Guest AamenHammer

I'll definetely bear that in mind.

I've got a couple of spots i've scoped out over the last year, but could really benefit from a proper location for DSO.

Thanks

Hi Gareth

Good start for a first attempt, I was going to suggest a clip filter to help you and also was going to query your ISO

All the DSO's i have done with a DSLR (currently use a CCD) have been at ISO 800, so I think you are right

to consider a much higher ISO

But congrats on the start :)  

i haven't done any dlsr imaging for while but i too would go for an iso of around 800, i`m not sure why it`s come out blue with a one shot colour camera, may be something to do with processing, i`d keep the sub lengths at 60 seconds and take as many as possible.

A good start Gareth. Yep light pollution is no fun when your trying to capture faint stuff like this.

You were probably right to use ISO 260 with 1 minute exposure if you are in a severe LP area. If you do get to a dark sky you can stretch the ISO with the Nikon as it handles noise at higher ISOs very well. With the older DSLRs 800 is a good compromise ( my 1000d is too noisy at 1600 so 800 is my max on DSO) but your Nikon will show good results with 1600 and maybe if you feel lucky 3200.

This was a shot with my bog standard Nikon Df at 3200 with a 80-400mm Nikkor telephoto. An hour of 1 minute subs

m31small.jpg

Edited by philjay