• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dont know if to cry or laugh ZWO comment on USB hubs

stash

The ZWO 120mm camera works continuously  -,usually when used with the provided cable provided ,is ok. However for those of us that like to be a bit further away  its seems to be a nightmare (me and a "few 100 others" anyway). It seems that ZWO have only one answer , see this below (taken off support site). But they do assure me that the usb3 version is hub friendly :rofl: Its the same for active cables.  

Now ok there is a limit to everything and USB connections are no different but I think they could have made a point of this on the sales blurb ("Pigs might fly") - would have saved me a lot of wasted time and if I had hair removal of the same :angry:. After all my Canon camera works through a hub at 60FT 99.99% of the time

So if you use these cameras then watch out don't go to far outside the 5m limit and remember the quote below.

"sorry, our USB2.0 camera is not friendly with hub

To be fair when I use it for Planetary video or Polar alignment I can get away with the short Usb cable and ,most of the time 95%, it works. 

been their with this camera,

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7404-zwo-asi-120mm-slow-fps-rates/?page=1

i`m now running it on windows 10 on a newer more powerful pc with no problems, i`m still using the 6.6 meter usb cable, 5 meter usb and 1.6 meter printer cable, i`ve only used the camera for guiding but will do another speed test on the new pc to see if it has helped any.

9 hours ago, red dwalf said:

been their with this camera,

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7404-zwo-asi-120mm-slow-fps-rates/?page=1

i`m now running it on windows 10 on a newer more powerful pc with no problems, i`m still using the 6.6 meter usb cable, 5 meter usb and 1.6 meter printer cable, i`ve only used the camera for guiding but will do another speed test on the new pc to see if it has helped any.

On Windows 10,7,vista - powered ,active , 6.5m cables - you name it done it. Even on my I7 (very fast) its crap USB wise - same error. Works when it wants too.:angry:

Never buying ZWO again - ok most likely never :(

Can run it on a 1.5m cable at 200fps using mono8 and 320x230 res but thats no good for me.

Emailed Starlight Express Ltd about there Kit - Terry says 10m active works ok - he has done it.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I binned the ZWO I changed the sort orig ZWO cable for a very very old usb1.1 cable and shock,for now its working. But wont hold my breath  - cant any too old I might pop off - fingers crossed again.

I wonder if they would work with USB <-> Cat 5 cable extenders.

There are some cheap ones on Amazon but need to look closely as some only support USB1.1.

There are some out there being used for extending cctv or webcam ranges so in theory it should work .... notwithstanding the ZWO factor!

I'm sure I have some Cat 5 sitting around somewhere, might give it a try with my ASI 120mm at some point.

Star Tech do the extenders https://www.ballicom.co.uk/usb2004extv-startech-com.p1142898.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CJ2D77-jx9ICFSwz0wodvrQE2Q and others that work but £120 min -> £400 to me IMH not worth it. I have used cat5 to Video over 50m but it can be subject to interference. I use outside grade cat5 for my remote network to the Obsys - seems to work ok - touch wood.

Point is ZWO know there is a problem with the 120mm USB 2.0  and Hubs - I find that annoying to say the least. I know  ZWO 120mm is "cheap" but I expect it to work as per USB standards.

I also downloaded the very latest driver ,from ZWO,dated Feb 2017 and updated PHD2 to 2.6.3 as per ZWO suggestion before replacing the ZWO USB cable with my old USB 1.1 cable.

Anyway will try out my last "working set up" again tonight (hopefully) and see if the ZWO still works. Spending  too much time on this subject :angry:

Edited by stash

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9aHac2P5RgVMWpNaGJnU3VMcDQ

20min guide and no problems with the camera - guiding off,small stars elongated  but the usb link worked well :2thumbsup: More to do with my poor old bresser optics just being a std APO - still pleased. Bonus was able to do all this from my office with tea and choc biscuit