• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NASA announcement

Tweedledee

Yes it does sound interesting... they normally leak the subject matter prior to a conference... so what's going on? :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Yes it does sound interesting... they normally leak the subject matter prior to a conference... so what's going on? :ph34r:

Aliens, megastructures, earth II? :D

Just now, stash said:

They have found the StarGate but need someone to sort it out :rofl:

Can i volunteer :D  

...There appears to be a large orderly fleet of objects including a huge Mimas type asteroid looking thingy, heading in our direction!

Due to arrive on 4th July.

Anyone with a pilots licence and a gung-ho outlook should make their presence known to the armed forces! ?:blink:

49 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

...There appears to be a large orderly fleet of objects including a huge Mimas type asteroid looking thingy, heading in our direction!

Due to arrive on 4th July.

Anyone with a pilots licence and a gung-ho outlook should make their presence known to the armed forces! ?:blink:

I though that was due even sooner on April 1st. :o

Absolutely brilliant! Been watching NASA tv and wow, it's all very exciting. I feel sure this type of planetary research will increase rapidly.

The Webb scope and others will dig even deeper to analyse atmospheres etc.

these are fascinating times!

We all know these earth like planets must be out there somewhere amongst the 100 billion stars in our galaxy. Now we have the technology to find such possible candidates in our 'relatively' very close neighbourhood means the odds on alien life must have just dramatically increased. These new findings must also feed into the Drake equation, increasing the chance of the existence of intelligent life.

Definitely fascinating times. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Nice to see that the discovery is comemorated on today's interactive google doodle. :)

Yes Pete, light hearted, but at least they have done something ? The excitement amongst the NASA team was akin or maybe even more so to the discoveries made about Pluto etc.

I personally have thought about this discovery on and off since it was all announced. Last thoughts before going to sleep and amongst first thoughts on waking today. I am buzzing about it... the possibilities are huge!

Things are falling into place more and more with the advancement of technology and the enthusiasm and skills of engineers and scientists etc. We are slowly gearing up to discovering signs of life elsewhere... How monumental would it it be to one day announce unrefutable evidence that we are not alone... the impact would have profound effects on the human race... bring it on I say!

Get the Webb up there and then start building the next generation of scopes.

Thanks to your post, I was able to watch the announcement live, an unforgettable experience.

cheers ?

23 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

18:00hrs this evening (UK Time) if you fancy streaming it on NASA Tv.

Thanks Rob, your heads up allowed me to watch the NASA tv announcement- It was great to see the news unfolding, another great moment for the memory banks  ?

Edited by Smithysteve
  • Like 1