• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ambergate site

Guest Pat

Hi people 

Ive paid the 20 pounds membership. I wanted to have look at ambergate site 

If I got ambergate cricket club would I be able to find the area were you guys observe . I just want to see the lay of the land..can you get your car close to there or is it long walk with you scope .....gates ect 

Thanks 

Ps I'm a beginner broght scope three weeks ago and it's been cloudy not even had chance to have a go at alignment .......got to look at moon with it tho and I was amazed of the detail. It's just a little meade etx125

Hi Pat,

What scope did you go for?

As a darksite member you are welcome to use both sites as you wish.

You should now have access to the darksite members area of the forum which has all the information for both sites.

No gates at belper, and you can drive right up to the club house. Just please bare in mind that both sites are cricket clubs and we don't want to damage the grounds.

We try to keep the details off the main forum so it is just darksite members who have access, with the exception of monthly meets. If you do go along on a clear night, feel free to start a thread and I'm sure someone will join you if you wish.

Hope this helps

Edited by tuckstar

Ok ta

I've found the address for both there both abaut equall distances from me .which site is best not to bothered abaut facilities.....which is best dark skies

i brought a little Meade etx125pe second hand of eBay 

thanks

15 minutes ago, Pat said:

Ok ta

I've found the address for both there both abaut equall distances from me .which site is best not to bothered abaut facilities.....which is best dark skies

i brought a little Meade etx125pe second hand of eBay 

thanks

The ETX125 is a great little scope, I have one and at f15 focal length with its fine maksutov optics you will get to see loads of stuff in fine detail. Stuff like open and Globular clusters, galaxies, nebulae, and like you said the moon! It is best to practice setting it up during the day several times to get used to the setting up menus and build of the scope.

Just make sure you practice, understand and follow the setup procedure properly by pointing the scope in the right position, wind it slowly anti-clockwise until it stops, then wind it clockwise so a fork leg is above controller panel etc etc. Then you will be better when trying it in the dark... :blink:

Thanks for your reply 

yeah ive read then instructions loads I've practiced on back garden but is been cloudy a lot 

I've practiced looking at terrestrial objects and taking pics . Took me that the bigger the eyepiece aren't  the  most powerful 

anyway really looking forward too seeing all these objects your mention.

im poping over now just get a feel for the ambergate site I'll take my bins just in case the clouds break 

thanks 

The lower the number eye piece the more magnification it gives.

Mag is focal length divided by the mm of your eyepiece so say 1000mm focal length with a 10mm eyepiece gives you 100x, a 20mm would give you 50x

The higher the mag the smaller your field of view will be, as well as being dimmer. 

I tend to use a 20mm to find things, and look at galaxies with a wide field of view, then use higher mag once centred on an object. Planets and planetary nebulae will take quite high magnification, but you can find you look through galaxies at high mag as some are so thin and wispy. Get used to finding smudges in the sky.

Hi 

thanks for advice i will bear that in mind 

well ive been out to try and find this cricket club. I followed the sat nav I took me all the way up that winding hill ...holly road I think the sat nav took me in too a farm yard full off cows en a big barn I couldn't fine the site. The sky's was really clear. Was I near to it from this farm yard 

I should have gone to finde it in the day light really 

It can be a pain. I got lost the first and second time I went. 

You're best finding it in the day or waiting for a meet, we usually arrange to meet newcomers at the Hurt Arms pub and get them to follow from there.