• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The £100 mount power supply

jadcx

Hi

I'm a long time reader but haven't been doing any observing for an almost equally long time - but now I'm back (with a shiny second hand ed80). I set up the other day during a brief break in the clouds, and was having a great time enjoying the new scope. Until I nudged the power connector and the mount reset. The problem is a particularly flaky 12v accessory socket that appears to nothing at all to aid retention of anything plugged in to it.

I know that I could just change it for a better one, or change them all for marine type ones which lock in place. But astronomy is an outlet for so many otherwise unmet needs :). So obviously, my answer is to build a power distribution box.

But then it escalates. I mean, if I'm building it anyway, it seems sensible to make a proper job of it. So it should able to deal with all of the accessories, with expansion for more in the future. And I should probably use a better connector, like those Anderson PowerPoles. And I could put in some proper fusing and reverse polarity protection. And it should be modular, so that at home I can plug in the nice but heavy 12v power supply, and in the future, I could use a battery bank for mobile sessions. Of course the NEQ6 would be happier with slightly more than 12v, I can include a 13.8v regulator. And whilst I'm doing it, a power meter would be useful.

So now it's turned into a hundred quid order for parts. My question is, is there a 'better' solution, or do most people build their own?

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i use one of these but they are not cheap but I feel at least I know its reliable and built by someone who knows electronics as I dont :lol:  it has power supplies, usb, dew heaters

stuff etc etc all on one box

http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:mount-hub-pro&catid=36:mount-hub-pro&Itemid=54

think you can buy them from firstlightoptics but they are over £250, dunno if you can pick up a used one somewhere, then i plug in

a marine 12v, battery (a big one) as i use CCD, Dew Heaters, computer etc

Sheila

i use one of these but they are not cheap but I feel at least I know its reliable and built by someone who knows electronics as I dont :lol:  it has power supplies, usb, dew heaters

stuff etc etc all on one box

http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:mount-hub-pro&catid=36:mount-hub-pro&Itemid=54

think you can buy them from firstlightoptics but they are over £250, dunno if you can pick up a used one somewhere, then i plug in

a marine 12v, battery (a big one) as i use CCD, Dew Heaters, computer etc

Sheila

Hi Sheila

Yes, that definitely ticks a lot of boxes, but probably a bit expensive right now.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk