• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Need volunteers please.

Daz Type-R

All,

The Wymeswold Scout group has asked if we can do a short talk / demo / viewing session on Monday 13th March.

I need a couple of different scopes, a frac, a newt ETC (the usual mix of scopes and mounts) and a laptop with Stellarium (or something equivalent) ideally with a HDMI port to link to our projector.

If it's clear ( :rofl: ) then we will be outside, showing the Scouts the sights, if not, then we will be inside, using Stellarium to show them where stuff is, what it looks like and a quick peek at the scopes.

So this is Monday 13th March (appreciate its short notice) 19:30 hours until around 20:45 but does not have to be that long, they are happy for anything we can do.

So can anybody help please?

This could be a good opertunity to get the next generation interested in something worthwhile and scientific.

Hi Daz could possibly do the Stellarium thing as I think I've got a landscape of the wymeswold cricket field so it would be what's about in sky in relation to the cricket pitch 

• Like 2

Daz

We also discussed at some point putting a slideshow together of the images from our folks, dunno if there is enough time to do it though?  

Sheila

Thanks everyone, that all sounds great.

@Ron Clarke - yes please, that would be perfect. - FRAC sorted.

@tuckstar - thank you - NEWT on a DOB base sorted.

@Allan the Plumber - Stellarium with a landscape of WW - That is perfect Allan, exactly what they wanted - Sorted.

If anybody else fancies coming along and wants to bring a scope / bins, that would also be appreciated (Bins would also be helpful).

If anybody has a Schdmt/Cass or similar, that also would be beneficial.

@Sheila - I remember now us discussing it, my laptop is ancient and does not have a HDMI port, so cant really hook that up, also, not sure if we have time to put that together - if anybody fancies a challenge then great but I would be happy to go without (this time) considering how short of time we are.

Have hdmi output on my laptop and is 1080i output have a few issues with Stellarium Wymeswold but on it (sorted?)

Edited by Allan the Plumber
Fixed problem

4 minutes ago, Allan the Plumber said:

Have hdmi output on my laptop and is 1080i output have a few issues with Stellarium Wymeswold but on it 

Will these issues stop us using it or looking at stuff?

If so, then just plain Stellarium is good enough.

4 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Will these issues stop us using it or looking at stuff?

If so, then just plain Stellarium is good enough.

No Daz just reduced the image size all up and running now 

I would have loved to have come along for this but we are working next weekend and its an early start and late finish the day before so Monday is a nothing day for me to recuperate, part of the fun of ME:angry:.

Hope all goes well and you have crystal clear skies 

Just giving this a bump - can anybody else make it?

Cheers.

Right then guys, I'll be looking to get there about 6:30 to give the scope a bit of cool down time. 

Alan, I've got the projector and access to the screen.

We'll have to play it by ear, but will you have some images that we could flash through if needs be. A quick "this is the great nebula in Orion" type thing. No pressure :ok:

Hopefully we'll spend more time outside with whatever kit and bodies are available, but if not we can just tell them about the different kit.

See you all tomorrow.

• Like 2

If people have images they want showing if you send them to me i can put them on the slide show 

• Like 2

If okay would people allow me to take images they've put on EMS to show at this outreach thing on Monday 

No worries from me and I think we asked before and I can't remember anyone objecting :) 

• Like 1

Just back from Wymeswold, an enjoyable evening with a group of about 25 scouts. It clouded over so we set up the scopes inside and Allan and Andy gave a Stellarium presentation and we followed that with showing them the scopes (with lots of questions!) We did get a cloud break when we were able to go outside and show them Orion, Polaris and a few other visable stars.

Think they all enjoyed it and so did we! :)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3

:)Fantastic stuff chaps really appreciate you doing that, especially at such short notice.

Sorry I couldn't make it, sounds like a good outreach session, hopefully sparked an interest in the younger generation.

Will give the scout leader a call tomorrow, see if we can get any feedback on if the kids enjoyed it.

Thanks once again.

:thumbsup:    

Massive thanks to Alan and Ron. Couldn't of done it without them.

It seemed to go ok despite my bumbling waffle with stellarium. Hard to keep their attention, but the laser made a few pay attention when we did get a break in the clouds. Shame we didn't get the chance to look through the scopes.

It's so much easier when you can see the actual stars. 

They did seem to enjoy the photos at the end as well.

Will add my congratulations to Andy and Ron who really did the most talking especially Andy I'm just a mouse pusher ?By the way Andy was pulling on my coat trying to say you've got my hiviz jacket when you overtook me on the A52. Sorry Ron we drag the scouts outside when you where in mid telescope talk (you did look a little miffed ) great evening looking forward to see all at next meet