• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Any Ideas what has gone wrong

stash

The wispy curved bits are really weird and a few squarish stars, but the Whale and other galaxies have come out great. :thumbsup:

Hi Stash

What gear did you use? The star shapes look typical of field curvature possibly due to incorrect spacing if you used a reducer. No idea what the lines are. Are they in a single sub? If not its processing artefact

No ignoring the star shapes which I know about it was the wispy bits and the like that have appeared that was baffling. I didnt see any of that on the individual frames (didn't check them all) so I guess it was something with DSS. Will delete all but the frames and rerun DSS. Thanks for the comments/help.

Reprocessed frames after deleteing all DSS masters etc - better must have been DSS throwing a wobble . Thanks folks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVVWlBc3VDMXA3eFE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVbUl5ZVJYRDNVS3c/view?usp=sharing 

• Like 1

DSS has thrown me a few wobblies at times. I've had some results that show vertical lines of different colours. I've re-stacked using Microsoft ICE but then there's no dark frame subtraction.

16 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

DSS threw a wobbly at me today, adding "ghost" stars to Ursa Major!

Hope its not catching !  Sure it wasn't the comet 41p ??

9 hours ago, stash said:

Hope its not catching !  Sure it wasn't the comet 41p ??

As there were multiple ghost stars, it would only be 41P if there was a micro-lensing event caused by a planetary mass black hole.

I ended up processing a single frame.