• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M35 and NGC2018 revisit

philjay

Had another go the other night 9thursday) on this. Spent ages trying to get good focus, guiding was spot on and I limited it to 2 minutes per sub. But focus was extremely difficult, all I can think of is the atmospherics (high winds). Slightly better than the previous attempt but still cant get the fine detail and 2018 looks weird. Ive had much better focus with the Eddy and atik before, either the wheels have fully dropped of my imaging techniques or its atmospherics, dunno:unsure:

M353rdgo.jpg

• Like 3

Joy of Astronomy - 2 nights never the same ! Looks good to me but last night was full of water vapour - hence dew problems. Maybe Thurs was the same.

I thought the first one was excellent, but this looks better.

The two images are different. The star positions seem to have gone through a transformation. Can't quite work it out, but I think it has been transposed top to bottom and then rotated. Get the two images side by side and you'll see it plainly in the star patterns of both clusters.

I think that the x and y coordinates have been swapped and a slight rotation added (probably due to the imaging times on different nights).

If you could transpose them back using software, you could compare the two images better.

This probably amounts to the same think I tried to say above in the previous post. :lol:

Gosh Pete thats really got to you that one :D I was lazy I admit and didn't correct the orientation and mirror image. So here you go

M353rdgo2.jpg

22 hours ago, stash said:

Joy of Astronomy - 2 nights never the same ! Looks good to me but last night was full of water vapour - hence dew problems. Maybe Thurs was the same.

Yeah Clive atmospherics can wreak havoc sometimes. I reckon your right as Thursday night round here had a bit of haze. I did manage a short test run before the clouds came barrelling in on the Tuesday I think it was. Managed 8 minutes only but it was to just check everything through and test focus and guiding.

This is straight from the stack without too much processing. 2 minute subs this time, round stars and focusing using FWHM was far simpler than the Thursday night when it was all over the place.

m35c 8mins.jpg

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Gosh Pete thats really got to you that one :D I was lazy I admit and didn't correct the orientation and mirror image. So here you go

M353rdgo2.jpg

Cheers Phil, that one is worthy of framing and hanging on the wall. A really nice 2 for 1. :2thumbsup: