• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron C9.25 SCT VX GOTO

seven_legs

Hi all

my mate is thinking of getting the Celestron C9.25 SCT VX GOTO, mainly for visual observation. Although he may do the odd ap on planets.

was wondering if anyone has one or has used on before and what their opinion of the scope is

It's a superb general purpose scope Tony. I have the CPC 925 version - currently for sale - and the C925 (keeping), and when set up properly it's a fabulous performer. It can do deep sky ap as well with a reducer and an eq mount. But for pure simplicity of observing it's hard to beat. Bear in mind it has a narrower fov than than an equivalent frac or dob - but I've always found Celestron goto electronics to be spot on accurate. And of course it excels on planets.

I'm only selling the CPC cos it's to heavy for me nowadays and I wanted the same scope but lighter arrangement. Is there anything in particular he wants to know? :)

Thanks Kim,

i  have the Skywatcher 2" Di-Electric Star Diagonal will he be able to use that straight away or will he need a adapter or something to use it.

plus will he have to polar align or can the computer just do a 2 star alignment like my dob..he is getting the eq mount version

and I think he says he going to get a Celestron SkySync GPS..is that worth it?

thanks alot

He will need dew protection, that front cover will attract moisture like a sponge.

Cheers daz, 

yeah he is getting one. He deciding if the normal one or the heated one would be best. I would of thought the heated on.

Yes I would pop a heated dew strip on the corrector end - as well as a dew shield. Two inch eyepieces and diagonals work well on the 925 and leave a lot more thumb room for snicking up thumbscrews. They are also a lot more solid and stable than the 1.25" accessories. If he's purchasing new then confirm with the retailer what size visual back it comes with - 2" or 1.25".

If it's the smaller one it would be better to order it configured with a 2" from the get go (for a small extra premium). There is usually an adaptor for all 2" acessories which are threaded for the 2" vb. Some diagonals come fitted with a 2" sct visual back adaptor ring, threaded for screwing straight on - I doubt your diag will have this. There's also the option of using a 2" Baader click lock adaptor - strongly favoured by many but comparatively dear.

The VX will need to be polar aligned as good as possible followed by a two or three star align. It can work effectively for observing with a rough PA - but he will have to make tiny adjustments now and then (mostly dec) to keep the object dead center. I've not used the SkySync GPS module - my CPC has GPS inbuilt - but I would recommend it. Having GPS and goto just makes the whole experience so convenient, easy to find stuff, and the overall session more relaxing. :)

Great. That's a big help will tell him to read this thread. He is a member of ems.

as for the diagonal will tell to get in contact will first light optics.

• Like 2

Cheers for the info. I will see if FLO can fit the scope ready for 2inch eyepieces.

Thanks again

Hi Kim.

Yea that's the one. Ordered it earlier, decided now or never, and with stargazing live on TV, I thought they would sell out quick. As you say it's a great deal. Ordered a heated dew shield, a William optics diametric diagonal with adaptor (reviews of this are all overwhelming ly positive), and a tracer power supply. ( Hope I didn't forget anything essential). I can borrow Tony's eyepieces. Thanks for everyone's help.

?

Excellent! I too have the WO diag and it is indeed a very nice piece. Sounds like you have enough to get going - enjoy! :)

Great.

Looking forward to using my new scope...ahem having a look through you new scope rob:)

• Like 2

Tony suggested I should post some pics. Here we go.

Ordered from FLO tues evening, arrived Thursday!

Noticed the price has gone up now, so all the bits n bobs I got came free I guess :)

Looking forward to using it.

Like peeps say, you should get a guarantee with any telescope of at least several nights of clear sky after purchase. ;)

Unboxed1.jpg

Assembled.jpg

Assembled with Controller_dshield1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Pete. I got that bag. Crazy price really at almost 100 quid, but will be worth it. Just bought a meade 4000 series 40mm (jap version) from ENS optical via ebay for 45 quid. Decided I should start to augment the eyepiece collection. After using tony's great eyepieces, some worked better than others. And the plossl 25mil I got with the scope was actually not bad. (you get away with more with an f10). <Posted first light experience in the observations thread>.

Next purchase is William optic binoviewers, I have compared them all, and the William optic ones sound the best, and come with 2 eyepieces, so its a no-brainer.

Also on order is HitecAstro four-channel, four-port Dew Controller. The dew shield did well without this, but I will need at some point.

No more spending for me ;)

Edited by newtyng5

The WO binoviewers aren't particularly the best - but they're the best in that price bracket imo - and they give excellent views. I have a pair and they work brilliantly with the 925 (and the 800). Viewing the moon feels like you're drifting 500 feet above the surface, and star fields take on a 3D effect which is really emmersive. Here's a tip - get a pair of winged eyepiece cups - they block out any distracting light from the sides and really draw you completely into the view. :)

Yea I read about those winged eyepiece cups in several posts on other forums. Thanks kim

Edit : cant spend anymore, so this is on hold :)

Edited by newtyng5