• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

BBC4 - 9pm tonight

Tweedledee

BBC4 tonight 9.00 till 10.30pm

Gravity - Jim Al-Khalili

Follows on from Stargazing Live on BBC2

Looks like a good TV night :D

I got away with Stargazing Live. Perhaps I'll see gravity on catch-up.

Personally, it was nice to see the southern sky on TV, as I've seen it a few times from various countries. One interesting "pot" was photographing the whole of Scorpius from the Carribean. I also saw Alpha Centauri from India. Canopus, Alpha Centauri and Achernar are all visible year-round from my in-law's garden!

Not sure how interesting it could be to UK-based astronomers who don't get to travel much, though.

I managed to watch both, on holiday in Kent, my wife was engrossed in her book.  ;)

I found stargazing live entertaining, but it would have been nice to see some proper telescope gazing being done. I did find it a refreshing change to see the views of the southern sky and certainly Orion and Canis Major etc upside down.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Jim Al-Khalili's Gravity, and I also enjoy his other programmes on TV and radio. Just downloaded his Time Warper app which looks very interesting.

Watched stargazing live and at last they've managed a stargazing live program about astronomical subjects and we actually saw some stars live. Congrats BBC, it's about time, I actually feel I want to watch the next one.

OK, one may argue that showing clear skies live in the UK is difficult but I remember several previous programmes where they have had clear skies and they spent only minutes out there, preferring to run pre recorded spaceflight related stuff.

We have Brian Cox - bit of a rock star, keyboardist, particle physicist, astronomical pin up and all round wonder.

But Australia has Greg Quicke - Sky Tours guide, mechanic, motorcyclist, meditation guru, marine biologist, surf dude and laser wielding brother of Gandalf the Grey! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that Pete, just watched the ' Alka-piccalilli' prog on gravity! Thoroughly enjoyed it! I love anything and everything about this sort of stuff! ?

The sky is much darker Down Under, even from urban locations.  I was amazed by just how much I could see from Canberra and Sydney. 

12 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Thanks for that Pete, just watched the ' Alka-piccalilli' prog on gravity! Thoroughly enjoyed it! I love anything and everything about this sort of stuff! ?

Totally agree Steve. :thumbsup:

We could do with at least one of this type of programme every single night. :)