• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

total beginner

thelord2004

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I would like some advice

on which is the best telescope to buy first off. 

regards

Hi Simon,

You are usually better off starting with binoculars. There is a lot you can see with them. Telescopes are suitable for looking at details on planets but can take a lot of time setting up. I enjoy taking my binoculars out after dark in summer, with no need for warm clothing. Quite often, I will browse the Milky Way and star clusters while I am taking longer exposures on my camera.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Cheers,

Phil

P.S. The folk on here are very helpful.

Hi Simon and welcome to EMS. :)

It's a bit like asking which is the best car - there's a lot of choice out there, suiting a lot of different budgets, and for many different purposes.

If you'd like a chat and a look at a range of gear then pm me and we can arrange meeting up. Or drop in to the next meeting at one of our dark sites to meet the members and look at a wider range of scopes. Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Simon.

I always advice buying a half decent pair of binoculars that you can use if you don't take to the hobby. 

Joining a local club is always a good idea, there is a list of local clubs on the forum, and of course you're welcome to join us at our monthly meetings at one of our dark sites. This will give you a chance to have a look at, as well as through some scopes before you part with any cash.

Andy

Edited by tuckstar

As per Andy, start with a pair of 8x50 or 10x50 binoculars and a good book such as Turn left at Orion. Join a club, or come along to one of our meets.

Then when you've looked through a few scopes and decided just what you want to look at up there, planets/deep sky/moon, then go for a scope that suits you and your preference and circumstances.

Most of all though, enjoy the hobby

15 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

Hi Simon,

You are usually better off starting with binoculars. There is a lot you can see with them. Telescopes are suitable for looking at details on planets but can take a lot of time setting up. I enjoy taking my binoculars out after dark in summer, with no need for warm clothing. Quite often, I will browse the Milky Way and star clusters while I am taking longer exposures on my camera.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Cheers,

Phil

P.S. The folk on here are very helpful.

Hi Phil,

I will try that thankyou for the advice .

cheers  

Simon

Hi All,

Wow thanks all I remember some years ago buying

a set of celestron 15x70 binos are they suitable ? If so

how could I join up at a dark site meet ?  again thanks all I'm

looking forward to learning more

regards

15x70 are perfect, although a bit big to hold steady. A camera tripod can be used with these and will give you much steadier views.

First visit to a darksite is free, if it's to your liking it's £20 a year which gives you use of our to darksites whenever you want, dependant on cricket matches at Belper. You can Join up through the forum.

Just keep an eye on the meet thread for an future meets.

Edited by tuckstar

Yep the Celestrons are fine but with the extra mag at 15x plus extra weight are difficult to hold steady on target for any length of time without a mount. A full height photo tripod with bino bracket will suffice.

Keep a look out on the announcement section for meetings 

Great minds think alike Andy :D:DYou posted at the same time as me:D

Yup I have the 15x70's too and they're nice but heavy. For casual use I lean elbows on the car roof but for extended observing a tripod takes the weight off and opens the sky up a whole lot more. :)

• Like 1

A good pair of Bins in a great suggestion. As a first outfit that is a joy to use is a AZ4 and a 6 inch Skywatcher Newtonian. 

• Like 1

mmm that's always been my problem I don't do things by halves

I like to have the equipment. (all the gear know idea)

We try to have a monthly meet, in fact we just had one last Saturday,  and darksite members will usually start a thread if they are going to the sites and see who else fancies it. These can turn in to impromptu meets. Details of the next monthly will be announced once confirmed.

Edited by tuckstar

I have 15x70 bins (Helios Stellar) and normally lean against walls or rest my elbows on the car. Having said that I'm a big <expletive> and have steadier than average hands. I would recommend a tripod and would also suggest a smaller pair of binoculars for more quick, casual use.

ok I will stick to trying my binos for now

blooming cloudy in Leicester and ive not a clue what I'm looking for

Just now, thelord2004 said:

ok I will stick to trying my binos for now

blooming cloudy in Leicester and ive not a clue what I'm looking for

You could get a star atlas or get Stellarium for free.  You could Goofge it.

You might also like this: http://binocularsky.com/