• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

help with SFF Graphics card, needs a normal size securing plate

red dwalf

hi all,

today I rushed out a bought a better graphics card for the obsy computer, NVidia nvs 310 1gb, happily rushed home to fit it to discover that the front securing plate, sorry don`t know the proper name for them, is a small one for a Small frame factor computer, and mine is normal size, been looking everywhere on the web for an adapter plate to change it to a full size one as luckily it has two small screws holding it onto the graphics card, I`m having no luck in finding one so was hoping someone might know how to overcome this problem, or does anyone want a NVidia nvs 310 1gb graphics card ?

there is aways a problem to solve.

Rob,

Doubt you will get an adapter plate but you could mod a blank plate to "hold" the SFF plate and the cable in place. I am assuming its the plate and NOT the bus connection type thats the problem. These cards are normal just "low profile" so the length and bus connection are the same (you will see PCI-Express mentioned for example) just the height is reduced. But hard to tell from your description.

Sorry not much help :( Hope someone else comes up with something.

If you have just bought it - send it back and get your money back - 14 day return law.

I'll try and post a picture later, the card is normal size. I.e. PCI express card is just the silver bit on the front of the card is smaller, it came off a hp computer and it must have been a small form format, bought it second hand off flea bay for £17 so a good price, i believe if bought as new you get both the full size and the small format bracket which you can swap, nvidia UK could not help me as the say they don't manufacturer them !

Try search for Low-Profile Bracket nvidia or low profile bracket nvidia on fleabay - there are some but maybe the wrong way round. According to Nvidia they came normal with an low profile bracket ???? :(

Edited by stash

yep seen plenty of those but needs two hdmi outlets and be able to screw onto the card, have put in a bid on another cheaper card off fleabay and hopefully i can cannibalise it.

Result, went to local computer shop yesterday to see if they had any brackets that may be suitable only to find they had about 10 graphics cards all with long style brackets and no short ones so they were happy to just swap it ?

Gets it home and find it isn't a hdmi outlet, it's a dvi d link ! So still need to buy an adapter. ?

Will get there in the end.

success, good old flea bay supplied the required adapter, D link to HDMI, and a new graphics card is fitted and up and running, NVidia 310 1gb something or other.