Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Tweedledee

Comet 41p

Tweedledee

Had a quick look at 41P/Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak in the 15x70's tonight.

I updated comets in Stellarium for accurate positioning, and saw I could follow a line of stars a few degrees from Thuban.

Stellarium has it at just brighter than 7th magnitude and other sources at nearly 9th magnitude. I think the fainter is more like it, in fact I could only just get it with averted vision, though I didn't have much dark adaptation. It was definitely a spread out round smudge so the surface brightness is going to be much less than the magnitude suggests, making it difficult in binoculars.

It is about time a more spectacular comet came along.

Bottletopburly

Nice one just take longer looking dont blink though :lol:

Smithysteve

You need to start wearing your red goggles in the house for a bit before you pop out for a quick bin session ;)👍

Daz Type-R

Nice one Pete, it didn't look that spectacular in the 8" dob either.