• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

steel tube

Bottletopburly

May have been asked before looking for a supplier of  metal tubing for a pier im guessing 5 or 6 inch steel tube approx 1m long 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mild-Steel-Round-Tube-Circular-Hollow-Section-CHS-various-sizes-/301877294142?var=600688208386&hash=item464949f43e:m:mK0a4pKVblUZzyKVj0oi-ww

Free delivery. Probably lots more on ebay.

When I built a pier, a few years ago, I got mine quite cheaply from... 

Aiton & Co. Ltd. Stores Road, Derby, DE21 4BG 01332-291122

I bet you have a few pipework contractors near Corby.

They are a large pipework contractor and don't normally sell stuff to the public, but I just phoned them up and told them what I was after. They told me to come down, and a guy took me around their large scrap/offcut section in their yard and I chose a suitable piece of pipe and took it away for a small amount of cash.

It was very thick walled and heavy and came complete with flanges and just needed cleaning up as it was a bit rusty. Nearly got a hernia getting it in the boot. :lol:

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

Try Corby Steel Supplies on Willowbrook industrial estate, probably worth a call to see if they have any offcuts? Ought to be plenty of suppliers about there give the towns history!

Billsons in Kettering probably also worth a call

Alan

Edited by Big Al

10 hours ago, Big Al said:

Try Corby Steel Supplies on Willowbrook industrial estate, probably worth a call to see if they have any offcuts? Ought to be plenty of suppliers about there give the towns history!

Billsons in Kettering probably also worth a call

Alan

Cheers pete that ebay one look good is 3mm wall sufficient ? ,yes alan  i have been in corby steel supplies before i worked across the road never seen any big stuff whilst walking around though i suppose they could order in , looked on billsons website though sometimes your better up popping in ,will look into ,thanks 

Edited by Bottletopburly

The thicker the better really. Mine was 9mm thick walled and about 220mm diameter. Some fill them with concrete. I filled mine with kiln dried sand as it is supposed to dampen down vibrations very quickly. 

• Like 1

IMHO - if you fill with concrete then you might as well use plastic pipe - no rusting , less painting  and cheaper!

3 hours ago, stash said:

IMHO - if you fill with concrete then you might as well use plastic pipe - no rusting , less painting  and cheaper!

Good point Clive, but if you are going to put several grands worth of hi-tech metal, glass and camera on top of it, I'd prefer to see it in steel with a nice paint or powder coated finish.

Of course, some might lust after the appearance of a nice bit of brown plastic soil pipe. :P

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Good point Clive, but if you are going to put several grands worth of hi-tech metal, glass and camera on top of it, I'd prefer to see it in steel with a nice paint or powder coated finish.

Of course, some might lust after the appearance of a nice bit of brown plastic soil pipe. :P

You can paint plastic any colour you want - mines lime green  but my wife suggested stick on plastic as per refuge bins - she thought the Alien from Looney tunes was appropriate :D

My concrete is reinforced so weight isn't a problem and the plastic doesn't pass electric current.

At least you can build sand castles in yours when it clouds over :P

1 hour ago, stash said:

You can paint plastic any colour you want - mines lime green  but my wife suggested stick on plastic as per refuge bins - she thought the Alien from Looney tunes was appropriate :D

My concrete is reinforced so weight isn't a problem and the plastic doesn't pass electric current.

At least you can build sand castles in yours when it clouds over :P

Your wife also has great taste in pier design then. :rofl:

Joking aside, it would be nice to see some pictures Clive.

Maybe I went a bit OTT with my steel pier.

I had mine professionally blast cleaned and sprayed with several coats of a two pack epoxy industrial paint system, then top coated in a blue that I'd had specially colour matched to tube of my 10" Meade SCT. The paint system was left over from a steel bridge contract where it had been covered by a minimum 10 year warranty against corrosion. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Your wife also has great taste in pier design then. :rofl:

Joking aside, it would be nice to see some pictures Clive.

The lime green paint work is a lie - its brown pipe - cant see it in the dark. But the wife's comment about sticky back plastic is true(she did the bin!) - she thinks I am mad going out in the cold - that maybe true too :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Maybe I went a bit OTT with my steel pier.

I had mine professionally blast cleaned and sprayed with several coats of a two pack epoxy industrial paint system, then top coated in a blue that I'd had specially colour matched to tube of my 10" Meade SCT. The paint system was left over from a steel bridge contract where it had been covered by a minimum 10 year warranty against corrosion. :rolleyes:

You said it not me :D 

Another thought, David...

Speak to Interroll - they were on Earlstrees industrial estate but recently moved to Kettering (01536 512370), they manufacture rollers up to about 200mm diameter so might be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction to a tube supplier. There's another roller manufacturer in Corby - Fastrax on 01536 269141 - who manufacture using tube as well.

Alan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Al said:

Another thought, David...

Speak to Interroll - they were on Earlstrees industrial estate but recently moved to Kettering (01536 512370), they manufacture rollers up to about 200mm diameter so might be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction to a tube supplier. There's another roller manufacturer in Corby - Fastrax on 01536 269141 - who manufacture using tube as well.

Alan

cheers i will put feelers out see if i know anyone working there 

31 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

That looks a good buy. :thumbsup:

Just needs a lick of lime green paint to really finish it off. ;)

Thinking more of Reliant Robin Pink myself :bat::D

4 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

That looks a good buy. :thumbsup:

Just needs a lick of lime green paint to really finish it off. ;)

Damn it just bought a patio set£500 and the fridge is on last legs god damn it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhhh

• 2 weeks later...

Had a result from billsons in Kettering 

1No.1000mm  139.7x5mm CHS TUBE         £33.05 + vat

or

1No.1000mm  139.7x8mm CHS TUBE         £50.50 + vat

Or

1No.1000mm  193.7x6.3mm CHS TUBE      £56.93 + vat

Now I'm assuming  140mm tubing would be sufficient  for an Eq6 , I only plan to have it as high as the tripod at its lowest setting should I go for the 8mm or 5mm thickness , I'm thinking 5mm would be suffice , what are thoughts on this .

• Like 2

While I'm sure the smaller one would do, I'd spend the extra few quid and have something well on top of its job. More peace of mind and braces as well as a belt. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The pier on astrobuysell is about half the price of a AS new. It's worth looking at the info and videos of the pier in question on Astro engineering website. I bought one of these after looking into it and can recommend them. They are solid!!!

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

The pier on astrobuysell is about half the price of a AS new. It's worth looking at the info and videos of the pier in question on Astro engineering website. I bought one of these after looking into it and can recommend them. They are solid!!!

I agree Steve that is a "proper" job. That is the ultimate pier and no messing about welding or buying and fitting an EQ6 boss. It is all done ready to go.

May have been asked before looking for a supplier of  metal tubing for a pier im guessing 5 or 6 inch steel tube approx 1m long 

With you saying 1m length of steel tube, how much of that will be below ground level? Or is the intention to fasten thw tube to the ground if it had a flange end which bolts could go thro into concrete? I recently got an HEQ5 PRO and might consider a pier outside specifically for that. I have a pier at the bottom of the garden, but it's position faces south against the fence and houses opposite, so no good for planets and only sometimes good for lunar if the moon is very high overhead. If I had a second pier, I would position it in the middle of the garden. But not sure whether to sink it in concrete (middle of the lawn), or fix it to a pit of concrete laid in the lawn (say, a foot cube)?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Flange fitted to base , height is only as high as the tripod , though currently in negotiations with the better half as the penny has dropped as what I asked her a while ago ?, I'm in no hurry at the moment quite a few tasks to be done  around the house , though if I can get the parts then I'm half way there should negotiations favour me ??

This link shows the pier I purchased & it shows a video at the bottom of the page, it's worth a look. They do several flavours to suit all popular mounts. Pm me Dave if you wish to go down this line... I might be able to help reduce your costs... ??

cheers!

http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/astroengineering/telescopemountings/stdpier1.html

• Like 2