• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

steel tube

Bottletopburly

1 hour ago, stash said:

Forgot I had this is my bookmarks https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/how-to/pier-design-fundamentals-r1236 good to get to sleep on.:D

Thanks for posting that, some useful info there. I like the recommendation for 36" of concrete base. Mine had a full metre cubed, just to be on the safe side in case of frost, earthquake, volcanic activity, ICBMs etc. :)

12 hours ago, stash said:

Forgot I had this is my bookmarks https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/how-to/pier-design-fundamentals-r1236 good to get to sleep on.:D

All good info!

mine like Petes is a metre cube. Some isolate the cube from the rest of the base but some say it is more solid to combine the cube with the 6" base. I have done the latter.

Of course, whatever you do, your foundations are still sitting in the garden... and so can be subject to vibration from passing heavy vehicles etc. You can only do your best to minimise vibration.

I rarely do photography so being a visual monkey my setup is excellent for my current and potential future photographic purposes. Having an 'almost' vibration free mount is a real advantage for visual and photography work. 

I generally sit or stand looking through my eyepiece, my eye just hovering above the eyepiece, using one hand on top of the pier to steady myself from moving. The image is rock steady in the ep, even though the scope is tracking, I hold my breath and take in the best view I can generate... magic!

cheers! ?

• Like 1

Its ok to create an Anti Tank trap or pillar box's :D  but soil type is the key IMHO - too heavy a base over a small area  on poor sub soil (like mine - boulder clay - eck !) and it will try to reach Australia or clone the leaning Tower of P.  

I don't have to worry too much about vibration where I live but the wind causes me more problems with scope movement.

Still its fun building your own! - I think :lol:

Thinking about converting my trailer into a mobile Obsys so when I go to club meetings I have everything set up - ready for the clouds,wind and rain Elac meetings seem to attract  :(

Anyway good luck David with your build and tell the wife you need to build a summer house over the top and then you can use the pillar as a table - the roll off/on roof is for romantic evenings ;)

• Like 3

Some good ideas there Clive. :thumbsup: I like the dual purpose pillar table and roll off roof suggestion. :2thumbsup:

4 hours ago, stash said:

I don't have to worry too much about vibration where I live but the wind causes me more problems with scope movement.

Cut down on the brussel sprouts or don't stand so close to the scope. :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Update so far ,Pier adapter ordered  S/h £42,tube 140mm x 5mm  found awaiting price but won't be an issue, messed up on that with  billsons in kettering did have a piece now sold unless i want a 7m length but metals4u stock it so that will be sorted in a few days ,300mm x10mm base plate ordered with a 55mm centre hole have asked if fixing holes can be cut not sure if they can do that but tacked a request on to order not a big deal if they can't that was sourced from  www.lasermaster.co.uk ,pipe was biggest headache did contact a local company they did not respond to my email and another one did but had nothing of the size i wanted so trawled the net far quicker when your working ,i was going to go to the scrap yard but they never responded to an email either.concrete base dug that just needs the concrete pouring though at the minute  i am digging out front garden so pier is on the back burner as the front is at top of the priority list . 

You are on the move David ?

I had to move a greenhouse, put up a new fence, landscape the garden and install a new kitchen before I could start mine! ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

You are on the move David ?

I had to move a greenhouse, put up a new fence, landscape the garden and install a new kitchen before I could start mine! ?

Moving in the right direction , digging the base tied in with getting rid of the soil from the front garden so was a no brainier , need another skip though that will be the fourth x£130 a pop , though pier is on a separate budget and everything purchased on a need to basis ie if I need it , then it's ordered ?

God give me strength i ordered a piece of mild steel from lasermaster simple task on their website ,from a list of shapes picked washer so 300mm dia 55mm dia hole in middle in 10mm mild steel today i had through letterbox thank god i have carpets not tiles, a 300x55mm rectangle x10mm mild steel ,though invoice clearly says  shape type WASHER :facepalm2: on a better note the pier adapter turned up .

Edited by Bottletopburly
  • Like 2

Blimey don't drop it on your toes!

It's prob diy, you should get a hacksaw and file through the post tomorrow ?

Postman delivered today yay , top job this time despite initial mess up with order must say laser cut does a very neat job 

300x pier base 10mm mild steel

• 2 weeks later...

Pier components

pier components assembled just pier base supports to get , friend is drawing on cad so I can have laser cut , pipe arrived and not cut square so needs a touch up with grinder , not HAPPY , taking shape nicely other than that 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Looking good. 

Not teaching you to suck eggs but. 

One piece of advice. 

I notice you have holes in the Base not slots. 

When you are ready to fix it down put your mount on it and polar align by moving the pier. Make sure you have the azi adjuster centralised. 

The frustration to discover you don't have enough movement on the azi adjustment after it is fixed down is not even worth contemplating. 

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

Looking good. 

Not teaching you to suck eggs but. 

One piece of advice. 

I notice you have holes in the Base not slots. 

When you are ready to fix it down put your mount on it and polar align by moving the pier. Make sure you have the azi adjuster centralised. 

The frustration to discover you don't have enough movement on the azi adjustment after it is fixed down is not even worth contemplating. 

Cheers graham that's more or less what I'm going to do , bolt down put mount on I haven't yet drilled and tapped pier adapter , so PA  then gaffer tape pier adapter to top plate , remove mount head and tap down , once I'm happy will get powder coated then should be able to re PA ,advice always welcome ?? ps owl hole still to cut , and designer friend just given me support bracket drawing so fire that off to laser master  and I will be cooking on gas .

Edited by Bottletopburly

Drawing for support brackets ,i do have drawings in dwg and dxf format  should anyone want a copy just PM  

BRACKET.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Last piece to the jigsaw has arrived,hopefully get welded up in the next few weeks 

IMG_1538.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Lovely job. :thumbsup:

Thanks pete 

Just had a quote  for powder coating  pier white from a local powder coaters £30 not bad at all .

5 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Super elegant, sturdy... over engineering is a good thing ?

Yes I said that to the wife after I dug the garden out for a driveway  12"  bit overkill hey you never know I may need to park a bus ps the BIG fill tomorrow for pier base 

Powder coating will give it a really professional finish. :thumbsup:

It will be more durable and less chance of flaking if they blast clean the steel first. But they normally include blast cleaning in the price anyway.

• Like 1

Came too far to fall at the last hurdle , powder coat will give it I hope that professional look ??

Hole filled ?

The big fill

The big fill

Edited by Bottletopburly

IMG_1553

Formwork removed ,lawn made good :thumbsup: