• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CGEM service.

Jonny14716

Hi Guys,

I am getting some really terrible guiding graphs recently and after a fair old bit of tinkering and experimenting I have come to the conclusion that my mount needs a service. Neither axis balances very well and neither are particularly free moving any more when the clutches are undone. It is now just over 3 years old and spends the majority of its time outside (but appropriately covered up) so I feel that it could do with a good strip down, clean up, re grease and rebuild.

I am a little reluctant to shell out for a hypertune kit (due very much to my skills being the weak link it that equation) but I will if I have to. I certainly don't want to ship my mount back to Celestron either.

Do any of you guys and gals know anywhere/anyone local where I can get my mount serviced?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of responses I must assume that there is nobody local who can help.

My next question would be:

Is there a detailed description out there that anybody has detailing the strip down process and cleaning etc.. for the mount?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry you have not had a reply Jon.

There is a chap on here who used to service mounts but due to an unfortunate health issue, he no longer offers this service.

I have had a quick mooch about on the net and the closest place to us in the Midlands is Rother Valley Optics, they sell CGEM mounts but may not necessarily service them, might be worth a call to see if they know of anybody?

Further afield down in Herts is Tring Astro, they sell and service CGEM mounts, just north of London it would be a fair old trek if you didn't want to post it, might be worth giving them a call also.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Daz Type-R said:

Sorry you have not had a reply Jon.

There is a chap on here who used to service mounts but due to an unfortunate health issue, he no longer offers this service.

I have had a quick mooch about on the net and the closest place to us in the Midlands is Rother Valley Optics, they sell CGEM mounts but may not necessarily service them, might be worth a call to see if they know of anybody?

Further afield down in Herts is Tring Astro, they sell and service CGEM mounts, just north of London it would be a fair old trek if you didn't want to post it, might be worth giving them a call also.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Daz,

I will give them a try, failing that I have dealt with Tring Astro before and found them to be excellent.

cheers,

Jon.

Good luck, please keep us posted as others on the forum may need a mount service at some point, so it would be good if you find something local.

Just now, Daz Type-R said:

Good luck, please keep us posted as others on the forum may need a mount service at some point, so it would be good if you find something local.

Roger that, will do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had no joy really finding someone to service the mount for a reasonable price. Dark sky optics will do it but chare as much as the mount is worth. So I've decided to keep it for visual use only and have been given the go ahead by her indoors for a nice shiny new mount!

I am looking to spend around £1500-£2000. Any thoughts anyone?

Lucky fella, getting approval from the financial director for that sort of budget for astro expenditure. :2thumbsup:

I know I couldn't believe it. Just not sure what to buy. It's gonna be either the SW EQ-6R, AZ EQ6 GT or the new Celestron CGX. Need to make a quick, but informed decision prior to the washing machine or dish washer breaking down!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Careful, that purchase will have consequences, there will be a handbag or two, new shoes, dresses etc.....

True dat!! I have had to book us another summer holiday as part repayment already, no doubt that will require a full new wardrobe at some point!

Have a word with Peter Drew on SGL - if he can't service the CGEM he will know a man who can. :)