• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rutland Ospreys &cuckoo tracker

Bottletopburly

Nice to see the rutland ospreys are back fascinating reading their route notes http://www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam/

also of note ids the BTO cuckoo tracker nice to see they have started to arrive ,amazing distances these little birds make  and great work the  bto do  in understanding the obstacles and pressures man puts on them https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking?gclid=CLOq_J3oqNMCFcQp0wodB2cMuA

Edited by Bottletopburly

What's a Cockoo ???? Sadly not seen or even heard one for at least 7 years :(

Very interesting David, especially the tracking stuff. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, stash said:

What's a Cockoo ???? Sadly not seen or even heard one for at least 7 years :(

I was just thinking the same. I'd almost forgotten that cuckoos existed as I haven't heard one for so long.

12 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Very interesting David, especially the tracking stuff. :thumbsup:

I was just thinking the same. I'd almost forgotten that cuckoos existed as I haven't heard one for so long.

last time i heard one must have been 30 years ago we have a wood between our house and town and as a kid walking to the swimming baths on a sunday you would always hear one in april/ may  sadly no more 

We used to get several around these parts 20 to 30 years ago, between late April and early July you could hear them calling throughout the day. Then about 15 years ago, hard to say exactly they were conspicuous by their absence. However one brave bird made a come back a few years ago and we get to hear him for a couple of weeks.

I used to enjoy taking a look at the Rutland Ospreys, actually saw a male fishing, but not been able to get there for the past couple of years sadly

• Like 1

Never seen the the ospreys ,will remedy this now i can borrow dads annual parking ticket seeing as it`s only 20 mins away 

It has to be about 7years since I have last heard a cuckoo, When we were in France a couple of years ago we did see Ospreys fishing it was a great site.

• Like 1

Cuckoo's and Turtle Doves are a major concern, they have declined so much in the last 20 years.  Surely Malta and Cyprus with their archaic gun laws must be one reason, but the main reason for the decline is still unknown, there are many theories but no definite answers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Cuckoo's and Turtle Doves are a major concern, they have declined so much in the last 20 years.  Surely Malta and Cyprus with their archaic gun laws must be one reason, but the main reason for the decline is still unknown, there are many theories but no definite answers.

Yes sadly these countries haven't helped mindless