• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

iss transit next week

Bottletopburly

Amazing what there is available to calculate these passes.

Do you have a link for this info please David ??

7 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Amazing what there is available to calculate these passes.

Do you have a link for this info please David ??

Here you go i think i came across it on SGL may have been on here can`t remember now best i have come across yet http://transit-finder.com/results

click on where it says home fill in location details and bobs your uncle :thumbsup:

Edited by Bottletopburly

Well that was a waste ,que the pc playing up ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ,time out error in eqmod will need to set the mount up and check cables ,seemed ok up to the last time i updated eqmod ,

update on that my mate lives 2 min away he didnt get it  i think we were to near the edge of transit ,but he has a mate 4 miles away and he was more or less in centre of disc and got it 

Edited by Bottletopburly

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Well that was a waste ,que the pc playing up ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ,time out error in eqmod will need to set the mount up and check cables ,seemed ok up to the last time i updated eqmod ,

update on that my mate lives 2 min away he didnt get it  i think we were to near the edge of transit ,but he has a mate 4 miles away and he was more or less in centre of disc and got it 

Oh well! Good try, but there'll be others when everything goes to plan. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Oh well! Good try, but there'll be others when everything goes to plan. 

Yes ,my other problem is i need to get full disc of sun to be able to use the qhy5,as i only have the 1000D dslr ,my mate on the other hand has the 1100D that has video so i need a way of getting the disc i could possibly use the qhy guide scope whether i could get focus sharp though not sure ,or maybe get a c-mount to ef adapter and use a camera lens , not sure how big Fov would be though  

4 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Yes ,my other problem is i need to get full disc of sun to be able to use the qhy5,as i only have the 1000D dslr ,my mate on the other hand has the 1100D that has video so i need a way of getting the disc i could possibly use the qhy guide scope whether i could get focus sharp though not sure ,or maybe get a c-mount to ef adapter and use a camera lens , not sure how big Fov would be though  

Post up your scope aperture and focal ratio, and all the chip sizes / camera details and I will calculate the FOV for you.

• Like 1

Not being an imager, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but have calculated the following...

Using your 200p at prime focus with the QHY5 colour, then you should get a field of view of 0.23 degrees x 0.17 degrees which is 0.29 degrees across the diagonal of the sensor. The sun is half a degree across, so you won't get the full disc.

Using your 200p at prime focus with your 1000D (or 1100D), then you should get a field of view of 1.05 degrees x 0.67 degrees which is 1.25 degrees across the diagonal of the sensor.

HTH.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Not being an imager, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but have calculated the following...

Using your 200p at prime focus with the QHY5 colour, then you should get a field of view of 0.23 degrees x 0.17 degrees which is 0.29 degrees across the diagonal of the sensor. The sun is half a degree across, so you won't get the full disc.

Using your 200p at prime focus with your 1000D (or 1100D), then you should get a field of view of 1.05 degrees x 0.67 degrees which is 1.25 degrees across the diagonal of the sensor.

HTH.

Yes i can get sun disc in 1000d but my camera doesnt have video mode which i need to capture ISS passing the sun/moon  so what i need is a way of using the qhy5 to get full disc ,so if i got a c-mount to ef adapter and used say my nifty fifty or the stock lens 18-55  could i do it that way (appropriate sun filter of course) or i upgrade to a 1100d and sell the 1000D i suppose i could do that 

Here is the captured image from a few miles  away in Stanion  C-qRpx9XYAAXKD1.jpg

Edited by Bottletopburly

57 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Yes i can get sun disc in 1000d but my camera doesnt have video mode which i need to capture ISS passing the sun/moon  so what i need is a way of using the qhy5 to get full disc ,so if i got a c-mount to ef adapter and used say my nifty fifty or the stock lens 18-55  could i do it that way (appropriate sun filter of course) or i upgrade to a 1100d and sell the 1000D i suppose i could do that 

No problem but the sun will be much smaller.

FOV at 18mm about 15×11 degrees

FOV at 50mm about 5.5×4.1 degrees

FOV at 55mm about 5×3.7 degrees

• Like 1

maybe upgrade the camera will be the better way to go

3 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

maybe upgrade the camera will be the better way to go

More money to spend :)

Is that guy Tony (Magnatone) still running the Stanion Stargazers? He announced he was starting a the new group way back in 2013 and we don't seem to have heard from him since.

Just now, Tweedledee said:

More money to spend :)

Is that guy Tony (Magnatone) still running the Stanion Stargazers? He announced he was starting a the new group way back in 2013 and we don't seem to have heard from him since.

im not sure my friend Damien weatherley runs it with i think the chap that took the iss picture graham  ,tony started it ,not sure what happened with tony,Damiens mad for it i did say to him to put his club details in here ,it is now stanion astro http://www.stanionastro.com/ they do have speakers regulary i believe .

• Like 2

Thanks for that update. Looks like a very active club then. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Here is the captured image from a few miles  away in Stanion  C-qRpx9XYAAXKD1.jpg&key=8c37c8f6edef02983bae9179381455d6038586e4125cafb5554aecefea4a27da

Fantastic picture. Great detail in the ISS shape. And that was a 200mm reflector with a 1000d? Is that a single shot? If so, did you have the shutter release running off as many shots as you could, at the time of transit?

There's another solar transit coming up 5 May, 09h27m:33.2-43.0s. I'm on the centreline in Loughborough.
I don't have a full aperture filter for my 8.75" but I have a Mylar film for my 70-300mm lens. I get a reasonable size disc at 300mm. But the ISS will be a speck. I can run video with it being an 1100d though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Orion said:

Fantastic picture. Great detail in the ISS shape. And that was a 200mm reflector with a 1000d? Is that a single shot? If so, did you have the shutter release running off as many shots as you could, at the time of transit?

There's another solar transit coming up 5 May, 09h27m:33.2-43.0s. I'm on the centreline in Loughborough.
I don't have a full aperture filter for my 8.75" but I have a Mylar film for my 70-300mm lens. I get a reasonable size disc at 300mm. But the ISS will be a speck. I can run video with it being an 1100d though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Not my picture sadly ,i think off the top of my head the chap graham used a 1200D, scope i am not sure of and i believe it was in video mode as thats the better way of capturing