• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

routes to N Wales - advice

stash

Hi All,

I am off to North Wales (Snowden/B.FFestiniog area) but haven't been to "North Wales" for a good few years so I am looking for best routes (speed / distance). Looking on maps I was thinking  kegworth rounabout/A50/m6/A495/A5/a470

Anyone any better suggestions - thanks:notworthy:

It's as good as any route really. There's no "good" way to get there TBH, it's just one of those places that's a pain no matter which way you go. Have a great time!

I normally go A50 to stoke then A51/53 Market Drayton/Whitechurch way, stop off at Llangollen for tea and breakfast, half hour walk about then your about an hourish from anywhere, i prefer that way simply because your off any motorway and ...its scenic :thumbsup: difference is around 20 minutes i believe compared to the motorway run..from here anyway..

I go the same way as Wayne. I prefer country lanes to motorways so just leave a little longer for the trip and use them.

I live on Anglesey so................

A50, M6, M56, A55 turn left at Bangor for Llanberis/Snowden.

I do the same as Glider as I am usually towing the tin snail, so prefer the motorways and A roads.

We go to Pwllheli, Criccieth and Llanbedrog so usually do the above route and tag the A487 onto that.

Thanks Guys - I am not taking the "Tin Can" so no need for Motorways this time. No hurry either so it looks like the A50/A51 etc (the  scenic route). Staying 6ft from the FFestiniog railway line so should be fun. Plus going back up Snowden on "the rack" after 50yrs - last time it jumped the track just above(literally) the dam :( and had to walk to the summit. Unfortunately it appears with todays safety first world its not going to the top until 17th May

Again thanks for the info !! hope you get clear skies !

• 2 weeks later...

well got there ok - slight confusion around stoke.

it took 54 yrs but finally reached Snowden summit by train - great weather - tee shirt ,no wind and clearish 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVVzkydWt6MWdnMW8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVMGRYQXlpbjlBRjQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVSG1tdWIzSkpKbEE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVSmpQeUkwMlJ3T1k/view?usp=sharing

did 3 train trips in 3 days all brilliant - Wales west highland  Porthmadog to Car  , FFestiniog and Snowden

Dead lucky with weather - sun,sun and sun - plus warm

Glad you had a great time and I can't believe how lucky you have been with the weather. I've been up there a few times and it's always been raining or misty so well done.

Looks like you had a wonderful time and breathtaking views. :thumbsup:

Never been there, but I will have to plan a trip. I spend most of my time in a car, so really appreciate travelling by train or other more relaxing methods.

I did that the hard way 20 or so years ago, up Snowden via Miners Track then down via Crib Goch. Very scarey going over CG.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

I did that the hard way 20 or so years ago, up Snowden via Miners Track then down via Crib Goch. Very scarey going over CG.

Just watched a video of Crib Goch with some wide angle fisheye views looking down both sides of the knife edge at the same time. Looks suicidal on that rough terrain, which is trying to trip you up and throw you off at every step! :o

3 hours ago, philjay said:

Yes always amazed me how man will toil to get copper ,gold etc - The train gave some people the jelly wobbles as it stopped to allow  photo's to be taken from within the cabin - it leaned a bit as everyone went to the left to see the "drop" - i stayed in my seat to counter the lean :D.  Those "dinky cars" sure looked small parked on the pass.

Not as scary as Crib Goch though - sheep dont seem to mind.

Did see some "mad people" biking UP the mountain :facepalm: