• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A walk on Bank Holiday produced these ......

Doc

Great photo's Mick, did you see any of the good birds about there? Red Rumped Swallow, Black terns and Little Gulls passing through?

Yes Ron I saw at least 6 Black Terns, at least 8 Arctic Terns, and two Ringed Plovers and a Greenshank.

Good shots Mick. Yep the macro DOF takes a bit of getting used to. Still trying to get to grips with my Sigma 105mm macro. The temptation is to use it on auto when on walk about to speed things up a bit especially when taking shots of fast moving insects etc, that's when the shallow DOF gets tricky. I am using mine mainly on Aperture Priority now but usually by the time I have the composition and DOF right the critters have flown off

I use mine in manual mode with manual focus. I try and use at least 1/800th speed and F8 aperture with auto ISO to get the exposure right. I find I get more keepers if I use the above numbers but then I do like shooting at F2.8 but the keepers drop down.

Nice images Mick.

I love the colours you have captured and how they contrast together.

Forgive my ignorance here but, could i just use a 200mm (non macro) lens for this sort of photography

and work to its minimum focus distance and achieve a similar result ??

Thanks Rob.

You will get good results with an ordinary 200mm but you will not get 1:1 magnification which a true macro lens gives you. You will find your lens will not focus close enough to achieve this. It's hard to explain so read this article and it explains it better then I can.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6519974919/macro-photography-understanding-magnification

Edited by Doc