• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

CDC alternative

Bottletopburly

Whilst browsing sharpcap forum there was a mention of planatarium software similar to CDC but a bit more up to date called skytech X http://www.skytechx.eu/ downloaded seems ok on the face of it ,take a look and see what you think and post back thoughts on it ,i had never heard of it before will connect to the mount when i get a minute ,

Be interesting to see what Eqmod makes of it.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Just now, Graham said:

Be interesting to see what Eqmod makes of it.

Let us know how you get on.

Will do graham 

searching the sun and moon seems a good feature, wonder if the sun is upto date with the current sunspots if it is then thats a plus for solar work,mind same for jupiter shows the moon so im assuming will show moons positions and planet surface detail  

Edited by Bottletopburly

That looks very comprehensive. I hope that fainter star catalogs can be downloaded for it.

Thanks for posting that David. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Tweedledee said:

That looks very comprehensive. I hope that fainter star catalogs can be downloaded for it.

Thanks for posting that David. :thumbsup:

I think theres quite a bit under the bonnet just a matter of Tweedledeeing about with it :D

44 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I think theres quite a bit under the bonnet just a matter of Tweedledeeing about with it :D

Yep, just need to get a bit more familiar with it. :)

I like it, as you say there are lot's of 'bells and whistles' to check out!! :)

• Like 1

If your looking for event information after searching for an Event in the observing tab press F2 , this brings up the sidebar Tab ,

14 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

If your looking for event information after searching for an Event in the observing tab press F2 , this brings up the sidebar Tab ,

Very useful thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, Tweedledee said:

Very useful thanks. :thumbsup:

i must admit pete it seems to have all you need ,maybe the moon could be a higher resoloution so when you zoom in it doesnt look fuzzy but seems quite comprehensive 

The standard bright star catalog doesn't go very deep, but I have read that you can download and install star catalogs right down to magnitude 21. Going a bit deeper would really improve the software, but being a bit thick I can't manage to do this. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

The standard bright star catalog doesn't go very deep, but I have read that you can download and install star catalogs right down to magnitude 21. Going a bit deeper would really improve the software, but being a bit thick I can't manage to do this. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Will look later after I get back from the theatre?????????

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Will look later after I get back from the theatre?????????

Operating theatre? Dance theatre? Theatre of war? Amphitheatre? Dream Theater? I like the last one. :)

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Operating theatre? Dance theatre? Theatre of war? Amphitheatre? Dream Theater? I like the last one. :)

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

im all mamma miaad out from Milton Keynes theatre , right info here http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?4694-Downloading-and-Using-PinPoint-Reference-Catalogs-(Updated-August-2015) the page shows additional downloads here you will see star catalouges with relevant info for star catalouges be warned though they are massive ,usno2 seems smaller download ,though some searching may fing whats the better catalouge ,also note high res moon texture is also avaliable currently downloading 16k will see if i can get it working 

Right moon looks a lot better in 16k easy to do just follow instructions and put moon png into the planets folder -then file-settings -solar sytem then in the moon texture box click custom then browse to the png file you put in the skytech -data-planets folder click on the 16k if thats what you put into it-click open and thats it ,relaunch skytech go to moon should now show 16k:thumbsup: 

55 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

im all mamma miaad out from Milton Keynes theatre , right info here http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?4694-Downloading-and-Using-PinPoint-Reference-Catalogs-(Updated-August-2015) the page shows additional downloads here you will see star catalouges with relevant info for star catalouges be warned though they are massive ,usno2 seems smaller download ,though some searching may fing whats the better catalouge ,also note high res moon texture is also avaliable currently downloading 16k will see if i can get it working 

Thanks very much for that David. I will get the moon as well. :thumbsup:

I saw Mamma Mia in one of the London theatres several years ago. It was really enjoyable. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Thanks very much for that David. I will get the moon as well. :thumbsup:

I saw Mamma Mia in one of the London theatres several years ago. It was really enjoyable. :)

It was excellent the wife was like a kid on xmas eve ,she thought it was FANTASTIC 

Well, I've read (several times) Bob Denny's post in the link, and my brain exploded. :o - "Create a "network place" for the FTP location and set it to binary transfer mode" - Not a clue! I want to see a nice big button that says "DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL" and the the whole thing is sorted. :D

As for the hi-res moon, I can't even find the png file or the folder even after searching the whole pc. :rolleyes:

I did manage to get the live sunspots though. :thumbsup:

Going back to my quantum physics book to calm my brain down. :)

Might have another bash at it tomorrow.

• Like 1

If you downloaded the moon png file it  should be in your download folder .??

For the UNOs2 file just do what is says in second paragraph , you don't need to click the link to Harvard university  the file should download by clicking blue link left column that says unos2 

image.png

Interesting if you press the HI PS button and choose red  then zoom in on the map  

HI psCapture.JPG

4 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Interesting if you press the HI PS button and choose red  then zoom in on the map  

HI psCapture.JPG

Now that is quite a game changer with this software, thanks. :2thumbsup:

• Like 1