• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Small magellanic cloud in full zoomable glory!

tuckstar

Sort of clouds we could do with... excellent image... ?

Fascinating stuff Andy, although i think i need better Wifi :lol:

Such a pity we don't get to see the LMC / SMC from our northerly latitudes.

That's ace, thx andy. Kept zooming in and lookin around, I am sure I saw a mcdonalds sign eventually. As for missing the SMC, LMC, I still think its better to be northern than southern. However I have always craved to see omega centauri.

Thanks Andy. That is brilliant, I don't know what it is about the MCs but I am fascinated by them

2 hours ago, philjay said:

Thanks Andy. That is brilliant, I don't know what it is about the MCs but I am fascinated by them

For me it is the fact that they are external galaxies, yet unlike the rest of them they carry their very own contingent of DSO's and stars that are easily observable with amateur equipment.

Pretty much the only chance of us northerners seeing anything like that in the sky is spotting NGC604, the HII region in the Triangulum galaxy or a globular attached to the Andromeda galaxy. And they certainly need very keen eyesight and a large scope. I think Mick (Doc) has seen them with his 16" dob.

• 2 weeks later...

Without trumpet blowing I've spent more time in the southern hemisphere than most people in the UK. Unfortunately, I have not been since I had a DSLR. All I need is to be able to visit the in-laws. I've seen Omega Centauri from Brazil and also our galactic centre, which I've even seen from a light-polluted car park. I've managed snaps of the scorpion's tail from the Carribean and even captured Grus.