• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which mount should i buy?

Jonny14716

Guys in need your help!!

I am looking to buy a new mount for both AP and occasional use. I have narrowed it down to (or rather my budget/wife has narrowed it down to!) either a Skywatcher EQ6-R or a Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT. both with the pier extension tube to allow the extra height without extending the legs.

I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone might have on the matter, both good and bad thought!!

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

I have heard nothing but praise about these two mounts. So I guess its down to preference, and suitability to your uses. Sorry I cannot be of any more help, but I would love either one. Great piece of kit.

Yup I would agree. Only know the eq6 so I would say that :)  but others may have experience with the az one 

Guest Ewan

I can only vouch for the AZEQ6-GT, I have never needed the AZ feature though but when I bought this it was the best for my budget. Faultless it is too, quiet as a mouse & guide graphs are fantastic all the way upto 30 mins.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Atb

Ewan

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Still not quite made my mind up yet. But it seems that both are good, I don't see the benefit of encoders or AZ mode for primarily AP, but I have heard some say that the AZ EQ6 is better made. I am going up to Rother Valley Optics on Saturday to have a look, as I have seen neither in the flesh before then hopefully that might help me make a decision, either that or I will see the new Celestron CGX and that will ruin everything!!

Guest Ewan

Best advice is get the best you can afford & you won't look back, a healthy budget is always a good thing but not always available.

Good luck deciding ;-)

Well I think the cgx is just a stretch too far. So it's between the other two. Unless something secondhand comes to light in the not too distant future. 

I had an NEQ6 Pro which was absolutely fine - I now have the AZEQ6 GT on a pier extension with tripod and it too is a smashing mount. If you'd like to look it over without a long trip you'd be welcome to drop round for tea, biscuits, and some astro chat. :)

(We're about 10 miles from you near County Hall)

Edited by Brantuk

Well I think I'm settled on the AZEQ6 now but I'd certainly appreciate meeting up and finding out have to get it working nicely. 

I can get to county hall in about 15 mins so you are really close. 

Well i have pulled the trigger and ordered the AZ EQ6 GT, EQ6 pier extension, ring tongue silicone power lead, and EQDIR cable, all from first light optics.

I shall comment further when i receive it all. Oh...and when Kim has shown me how to set it all up and use it!!

Better learn fast as it's only 5 months till Kelling!! ;)

Thanks. All seems to be good so far. Going to spend a few days getting to know her and then I think I shall be calling on your expertise Kim when I start to find stuff I don't understand. Pier extension is a month away though!! Out of stock everywhere. 

I now have 2 extra EQ6 counterweights that I can use as they have the wrong shaft diameter for the AZ. 

In in the usual condition (few chips etc). 

If if anyone wants to make me an offer on them they are ready and waiting. 

I have the same mount and use ordinary body lifting weights (not often needed) which I put between the 2 az weights to stop movement. Its then just a case to get balance.  cost £5 on flee bay.

I used to use them too. But with the extended counterweight bar I can't see me needing any more than 2 weights with my set up. But the old EQ6 ones don't fit anyway so they've got to go!

Just out of interest why did you finally decide on the AZ EQ6 over the EQ6-R?

One of the reasons was that the AZEQ6 has been around for a couple of years so has lots of reviews, all of which are very good. 

The other reason was was that I intend to use it on the tripod, which will mean polar aligning each session. And although the EQ6R has the upgraded ALT AZ  bolts I just thought the mechanism on the AZEQ6 seemed far more robust, and on first impressions it seems to be the case. 

Well, after mostly cloudy and rainy days I have only managed one quick session in which I cocked up the polar alignment (worked out what I did though, just not had chance to try again yet) but other than that I was actually very impressed.

The difference in noise created by this thing and my old CGEM is night and day, I have to check to see if it has actually slewed it's soooo quiet!!!

I had no problems at all finding my 3 alignment stars and after that the alignment and goto was pretty darned good I think (always within my 20mm eyepiece, which is good as my polar alignment was not!).

I even tried some autoguiding for a while and over 45 mins had a 0.45 rms combined error, which I was happy with as I will be imaging with an EOS 40d and equinox 80. I'm sure I can get this down by tweaking PHD2 settings and properly polar aligning next time, but so far I am a very happy boy!!

That's excellent - congrats! :)

If the three star align was that good - then maybe you can tell it to goto the pole star and measure how far out the PA was. Then you can make the physical adjustments to correct any error on the mount, redo the 3-star alignment, and you're good to go with an accuracy better suited for imaging. That's how I used to correct my alt/az sct on equatorial wedge....

(I too like how quiet the belt drives are over direct drives)

Edited by Brantuk

What a good idea Kim I will give it a try, probably at some point in 2019 though once the clouds have cleared!! Always the way when you have new kit isn't it!

IMHO I would try and use your Guiding camera/scope and Sharpcap to Polar Align - its faster,more accurate and simple (once you follow the instructions :facepalm:) - Search on EMS to find Stuart's tutorial.  I realise you are using a portable tripod and you would need to do this each time you set up but should still work. Worth a try.

Nice set up.

You wont regret buying that mount they are brilliant.

A couple of small pointers for you.

Your spare counter weights - if you cannot do it your self take them to your local steel fabricators and get them to drill out the centre to match your counter weight bar, far cheaper than buying extra weights if you need them in the future. 

Polar alignment - you have that facility on your hand set built in. Dead easy to use and extremely accurate .

All excellent ideas guys. And hopefully I will get round to trying them all and see who ch works best for me, if the sky is ever clear again.