• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cleaning a 'chip'

RonC

My QHY5 'chip' has dust on (Bunnies?), whats the best way of cleaning it please?

If the muck is on the front of the optical window a good puff or two with a blower to clear the loose stuff. If it needs more then I use a dslr sensor cleaner. My QHY Imgoh dews up between the window and sensor which requires window removal, will have to do a silica gel mod one day

Edited by philjay

Thanks Phil, is this sensor cleaner easily available?? 

• 1 year later...

It seems I'm suffering from similar issues with my modded dslr.

It's pretty much gone unnoticed with me using calibration frames in astrophotography, but my recent landscape attempts have brought it to the fore.

I guess my question is, does it get the thumbs up for DSLRs too? The thought of scratching my sensor terrifies me.

I seemed to acquire some grease marks on my 500D sensor. Took two attempts to remove using the above swabs but competed without mishap. I think the sensors are tougher than we are lead to believe.

After modding my old 350 D there was no window or shutter in front of the chip at all and I used to clean that with these swabs with no ill effects.

Well, said kit arrived in the post yesterday.

Swabbed sensor last night/this morning, and all i can say its worse than before. Liquid residue droplets peppered all over the sensor. I made sure the swabs were nice and warm as per the seller's recommendation, shook off the excess cleaning fluid before application, and even warmed the camera sensor reading in ExifToolGUI, with liveview on for a good while. 

Down to my final swab and in two minds whether to have one last go, or give up and send the body off to Jessops for £30.

Well, went for it with the final swab and achieved a much better result.

y4mvAiHa2E79hEApRFpfQzM-0FcYSgUtttUtJL6P

Just a stubborn speck on the top left that refuses to budge.

Is it worth sending away for that?

On another positive, the swab cleaned my astro webcam with no such problems.

That's come up well, at least you only have one lump to process out at the worst now. Nice one Kev.

I had some stubborn ones on an old DSLR, I just changed direction and gave it a few passes, but each pass was a new side/swab. It shifted eventually. Just don't re-use the same side of a swab twice.