• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New specs

Tweedledee

It is nice to get new prescription glasses again after a couple of years.

The first thing I noticed is that I can immediately resolve the pixels on my laptop again and astro images show even better detail. I only really need glasses for reading and anything closer than about arms length. My distance vision is excellent, but I do find it extremely useful to have varifocals as well as reading glasses.

When I sit down to concentrate and have a proper reading session I put the reading glasses on. If I'm using the laptop whilst half watching TV, which is often the case, my varifocals are ideal, although I don't need them for the TV. The varifocals are also great if I'm tinkering around in the garage swapping between looking at very close stuff and then looking a bit further away for things on the floor or on shelves etc. The varifocals are great in shops, especially searching for items on display in Maplins and places like that. I have tried the varifocals for driving, which means I can glance and see everything perfectly focused on the dashboard while watching the road, but feel I can see the road better without them and can still interpret the fuzzy small stuff on the dash well enough. Though I do struggle with the tiny outside temperature digits without glasses, but that's not critical. So most of the time, driving, walking the dogs, or generally in the house I don't wear glasses at all.

I got my new reading glasses and varifocals yesterday from Specsavers. The reading glasses were excellent immediately, but the new varifocals have been a bit of a pain to get used to, almost to the point that I have been ready to go back to see the optician thinking they are ruining my eyesight. I've had headaches, eye aches and struggling to adapt to the correct viewing position for the distance I'm trying to focus on. I've also been a bit slow focusing after taking them off. Anyway only tonight do I feel that I am getting used to them and the viewing is becoming more natural. So I suppose it is just perseverance that is needed rather than going back assuming the prescription is wrong.

Anyone else been having difficulty with varifocals?

I do the same, I have 2 pairs of verifocal and 2 pairs of reading glasses but do you think I can find any of them when I need them :)

I've had my verifocal for about 8 months now and initially they were difficult to get used to but they are second nature now.

Edited by philjay

Varifocals do take some adapting to, it takes a while as you have to get used to moving your head more. However, it's also a case of how big the sweet spot is for any given distance. I had to change my last pair to a higher spec pair as the width of the clear focus area wasn't enough at computer monitor distance. Only noticed when I switched my work PC for a twin monitor setup and found that I was losing focus between the two.

I've worn varifocals for 6 years plus and I only really notice when I change glasses if the lens sizes are different??

16 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

It is nice to get new prescription glasses again after a couple of years.

I got my new reading glasses and varifocals yesterday from Specsavers. The reading glasses were excellent immediately, but the new varifocals have been a bit of a pain to get used to, almost to the point that I have been ready to go back to see the optician thinking they are ruining my eyesight. I've had headaches, eye aches and struggling to adapt to the correct viewing position for the distance I'm trying to focus on. I've also been a bit slow focusing after taking them off. Anyway only tonight do I feel that I am getting used to them and the viewing is becoming more natural. So I suppose it is just perseverance that is needed rather than going back assuming the prescription is wrong.

Anyone else been having difficulty with varifocals?

Varifocals are always strange for a couple of days until your brain adapts to them, but you do adapt.

But it must be nice to get down to resolving pixels again Pete, varifocals are good but perhaps you could make a bifurcated turret device with multiple revolving lenses, including lenses with red tint for use prior to going out stargazing ???

6 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Varifocals are always strange for a couple of days until your brain adapts to them, but you do adapt.

But it must be nice to get down to resolving pixels again Pete, varifocals are good but perhaps you could make a bifurcated turret device with multiple revolving lenses, including lenses with red tint for use prior to going out stargazing ???

What a brilliant idea Steve. :2thumbsup:

Will get my technical drawing board out and work up plans to incorporate red filters, sun shades and even magnifiers at the flip of a dial. Should go well with my steampunk hat and gatling gun. :D

• Like 1

I was lucky that I didn't need glasses until I was 57. I only really need them for driving and I also have prescription sunglasses which are great. I have reading glasses but I only need them rarely, such as for reading very small print.

Well, after 4 days with the varifocals, I reckon I'm about 85% adapted to them. They are now feeling much easier and more natural to use. :)

Thanks for all your comments. :thumbsup: