• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

iTelescope M16

wolfman_55

Hi all,

Just finished procerssing my first image from the iTelescope site in New Mexico. I've had a few trials and tribulations (cloudy skies, out of focus images etc) just like at home. Still, at least you get creditted with your points back when things go wrong. Any way, here's my attempt at M16:

http://astrob.in/296510/0/

This is 8 x 240s lum 1x1, 10 x 120s RGB 2x2 with a 17" Dall-Kirkham Astrograph - about an hour's imaging all in.

Got some more to process when I can find time......

Dave

Edited by wolfman_55
  • Like 1

Good one Dave.

I know what you mean about trials and tribulations, I have had to ask for refunds a few times due to unusable images. Even with super kit like this there is no guarantee it will work every time. I still enjoy it though, and it's a chance to use kit most of us can only dream of, also use skies we can only dream of.

The star blooming can be removed in Maxim apparently, I've tried a couple of times with mixed results.

Very nice. :thumbsup:

You've got me thinking about having another session with iTelescope.

Its a bit pricey but they do have special offers from time to time. I had a 3x point offer which they upped to 5x although I'd already accepted the lower one. It would be nice to use the Australian scopes, but they are more expensive. It's great to see that they have the same issues as me and actually there's nothing wrong with the images I take except for the extra light pollution.......

Its really worth a punt.....

Dave

• Like 1

I have found the New Mexico scopes give me far more trouble than the Australian ones.

I did a 5 minute quick shot of M106 last week with T11, out of focus and no guiding. Then I tried the same this morning and all was in focus and good guiding but it must have been dewed up because the image was unusable, heavy vignetting and signs of dew everywhere. Ive also had to get a refund from a session on teh Tak 150 in the states as well due to poor focusing and guiding. The problem is the script runs, it has a fault but still takes the cack image then you are automatically charged, you then have to claim it back, which initially is automatic but I see they are assessing my claims now, probably because I have had a few.

If you can do a run when you are at the PC you can see when the scope is in difficulty and can abort the script and hopefuly not be charged but the point of itelescope is you can do reservations and run scopes without you being there. Thats what robotic scopes are about isnt it?

I still enjoy using the facility but I am getting slightly miffed at the unreliability. I dont know how some folks get images taking hours on end, I have problems getting their scopes to reliably take a 2 minute sub sometimes

• 4 weeks later...

Nice processing. Didn't realise so much of the pillars of creation could be seen from ground based kit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk