• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lego Apollo Saturn 5 Rocket.

Daz Type-R

Very nice. :)

I remember building the Airfix model of Saturn V, and the larger scale LEM and Command module, back in the early 70's.

2 and a half hours in, 2 bags of Lego (out of about 15 or 16 bags) and upto instruction 52 out of approx 400 and we have this.....

66DA23FB-A9D2-4ACA-ABE0-5EA9F7518ED9.jpg

Had a look at the lego promotion for this, it is impressive! Enjoy! ?

Looking good Daz.

I built the air fix Saturn 5 sky lab. Was very proud until I came down stairs one day to discover my 3 year old playing with it after swmbo gave it him!!! That was the end of that, bits broken all over. Got the vulcan bomber waiting, but daren't incase it sees the same fate!!

Nice, just spent another couple of hours on it and finished the 1st stage, this thing is going to be big, just wondering where I'm going to put it????

E9409E40-A8E9-4E68-9EC0-D631AC9DA5C7.jpg

First chance I've had to build some more since Thursday....

DE46DF40-8E72-4715-8613-447172104482.jpg

9305F49B-BB2B-4229-997B-E0A0BE93AD51.jpg

102C71A1-5262-4720-9391-CDC230E65C0F.jpg

Nice ?

Im a big lego fan.

prob get the technic exclavator next.

Have you seen the curiosity rover? They also did a technic space shuttle back in the 90s too, equipped with fibre optic lighting.

Finished at last......

B526ED1A-5881-4D33-A90C-E556E937E51A.jpg

286DA0EF-39CB-4AFF-BB21-5C7954528D9A.jpg

EB20A80A-FB57-4E93-8302-1FD8BF18D88E.jpg

F66FB69A-BD37-422F-B5BB-B1DA0FAA12E8.jpg

0C36D456-7CE3-4A58-84A7-024CE096B254.jpg

There are some really nice touches the designers have thought of, it's took ages, but worth it.

Just need to find somwhere to put it now.

Thats brilliant.

Saw the real thing at the space centre in the US many many moons ago.

I can still remember the awe I felt at the sheer size of it.

Did you have trouble getting the lander legs to fully slot in place? Also I had a gold worm gear part with no apparent use?

23 minutes ago, M. said:

Did you have trouble getting the lander legs to fully slot in place? Also I had a gold worm gear part with no apparent use?

With regards the lander, do you mean getting it to fit inside the Saturn 5?

If so, the only way to get it to fit was to place it in, not attach it as per the photos, and to do that, the rocket needed to be upright.

With regards the extra piece, Lego always give you extra bits but I don't recall having an extra worm gear, mainly lights and the odd gold single stud.

It is a long time since I've done any Lego. The rocket looks really good. I just wondered, does the finished rocket feel a like a solid, substantial item or is it a bit fragile?

Pete, my opinion is that the rocket is very sturdy and solid, got some weight to it too at around 2 kg!

4 hours ago, M. said:

Pete, my opinion is that the rocket is very sturdy and solid, got some weight to it too at around 2 kg!

That is excellent then. Thanks Martin. :thumbsup:

Interestingly, this set is part of the "lego ideas" division, which is fan based. 

In short, lego fanatics submit ideas, and customers/builders support/vote for their favourites. If a submission gets over 10000 votes, the project is put forward for consideration.

Anyone can join lego ideas.

Keeping with this NASA theme, the Lego James Webb space telescope!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9353f9ab-a11f-4820-8e1c-c427f7b17bbc

10 hours ago, M. said:

Interestingly, this set is part of the "lego ideas" division, which is fan based. 

In short, lego fanatics submit ideas, and customers/builders support/vote for their favourites. If a submission gets over 10000 votes, the project is put forward for consideration.

Anyone can join lego ideas.

Keeping with this NASA theme, the Lego James Webb space telescope!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9353f9ab-a11f-4820-8e1c-c427f7b17bbc

That's a great idea. :)

• 2 months later...

Gotta have one of these seeing as all my astronomy related activities are currently restricted to indoors. Trouble is it's out of stock everywhere, except 20 available in the Lego store in Leicester Square London, and they won't mail order one out to me. Drat!

(I'll find one somewhere  :) )